Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all, I just took my 97 T100 to the mechanic to get my steering rack taken care of. I get a call a couple days later that i need the intermediate shaft on the column replaced and toyota discontinued that part. According to their research there is no one manufacturing that part anymore so they condemned my truck! is anyone parting out a 97 t100 and have an intermediate shaft thats in good shape that they would part out to me?? Thanks!

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
is this not a repairable part?
i just looked into the part# for my taco and its also discontinued part :confused:

did you check it out on the car-part dismantlers website?

Reactions: beerhunt

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is this not a repairable part?
i just looked into the part# for my taco and its also discontinued part :confused:

did you check it out on the car-part dismantlers website?
It is not repairable. The mechanic I took it to is very reputable. At this point I am putting out feelers to other pull a part places around the country to see if I can get a hold of the Intermediate Shaft

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
Try Toyota Rancho Cordova recycling parts, scrap yard in California
where in CA

i may need to hit that joint at a future date, Texas panhandle seems to have nil for T100 or Taco parts

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
oh i just checked, its near I-80 right down my alley only 1570 miles away 🤠
Sacramento, never been there!

• Wow
Reactions: beerhunt

·
Super Moderator
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
15,227 Posts
They're are salvage yards with T100's with-in 100 miles of you and I'd guess most will have what you need. 95-98 should fit fine.
car-parts.com
Search for a major part that there'd be images attached like interior, hood etc.

·
Registered
4,944 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Toyota T100 4X4
115 Posts
This part, right?
Product Organ Font Triangle Line

The easiest thing will be to go to car-part.com and look for 2wd T100s that don't have smashed front ends. Try searching for "steering column shaft" or "steering rack" and see what you can find. You're really just looking for nearby yards that have 2wd T100s. You'll end up having to call and ask if the part is good. I just went through this looking for a discontinued crossmember on my 4wd T100. Lots of these yards will ship parts to you at a reasonable cost.

Or you can go to a You-Pull-It type scrapyard and compare your shaft to 1st and 2nd Gen 4Runners, Tacomas, and Pickups. You may find that one will fit with little to no modification. Parts from these yards are typically very cheap, so buy and try is an option. T100s share a lot of steering/suspension DNA with the old Toyota Pickups.

I'm guessing it's the U-joint on the end that is bad. Some of those joints are rebuildable. Here's a relevant Tacoma World Thread that covers the process on a 2nd gen. The challenge will be finding a joint that fits. You'll probably have to measure the old one.

Let's say you can't find a replacement part, and you can't retrofit one from a Tacoma, 4Runner, or Pickup. Let's say you also can't find a replacement U-joint to rebuild the shaft. All is still not lost, but you're in fabrication space now. Next option is to buy a similar shaft from another Toyota and shorten/lengthen it as necessary. Or you can try retrofitting a rebuildable U-joint from an ATV driveshaft or another Toyota on there. Not easy, but I think it's better than scrapping the truck.

Hope something in there helps.TLDR 4 Options: 1. Find scrapyard replacement 2. Retrofit replacement from 4Runner, Tacoma, Pickup, or other 3. Rebuild steering shaft with new U-joint 4. Modify/Fabricate a working steering shaft using existing parts

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
This part, right?
View attachment 357363

The easiest thing will be to go to car-part.com and look for 2wd T100s that don't have smashed front ends. Try searching for "steering column shaft" or "steering rack" and see what you can find. You're really just looking for nearby yards that have 2wd T100s. You'll end up having to call and ask if the part is good. I just went through this looking for a discontinued crossmember on my 4wd T100. Lots of these yards will ship parts to you at a reasonable cost.

Or you can go to a You-Pull-It type scrapyard and compare your shaft to 1st and 2nd Gen 4Runners, Tacomas, and Pickups. You may find that one will fit with little to no modification. Parts from these yards are typically very cheap, so buy and try is an option. T100s share a lot of steering/suspension DNA with the old Toyota Pickups.

I'm guessing it's the U-joint on the end that is bad. Some of those joints are rebuildable. Here's a relevant Tacoma World Thread that covers the process on a 2nd gen. The challenge will be finding a joint that fits. You'll probably have to measure the old one.

Let's say you can't find a replacement part, and you can't retrofit one from a Tacoma, 4Runner, or Pickup. Let's say you also can't find a replacement U-joint to rebuild the shaft. All is still not lost, but you're in fabrication space now. Next option is to buy a similar shaft from another Toyota and shorten/lengthen it as necessary. Or you can try retrofitting a rebuildable U-joint from an ATV driveshaft or another Toyota on there. Not easy, but I think it's better than scrapping the truck.

Hope something in there helps.TLDR 4 Options: 1. Find scrapyard replacement 2. Retrofit replacement from 4Runner, Tacoma, Pickup, or other 3. Rebuild steering shaft with new U-joint 4. Modify/Fabricate a working steering shaft using existing parts
yes! do NOT scrap the truck if at all possible

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This part, right?
View attachment 357363

Thats the one! This is a huge help, thank you for the help!

·
Registered
1995 T100 SR5 ExtCab
62 Posts
Could a driveshaft shop rebuild it? If it's a bad u-joint then that's right in their wheelhouse...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts