Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
My wife and I just replaced the stereo in our 97 Tercel (2 door, Manual Transmission) now it won't start. The old stereo was old and broken and a few months ago stopped working all together. While replacing the stereo I checked all the fuses and the fuse for the radio and cigarette lighter was blown, so I replaced that too. The next morning my wife tried to start it and it didn't do anything. there was no clicking or humming, the car does make a very soft sound when the key is in the "ON" position. The radio, headlamps, A/C, and all other electrical components work fine.

We thought it may have been a coincidence and that the starter may have been bad. We replaced it with a rebuilt starter, nothing changed from before to after the new starter. The starter is good and it is getting power from the battery. We think it may be a loose wire somewhere under the dash, maybe it came loose while installing the stereo.

Is it possible that while installing the new stereo that we somehow managed to fry the Starter Relay? Could we have pulled a wire loose from the clutch safety switch? Could we have pulled a wire from the ignition loose?

All your help is appreciated, we really need our second car operating again, juggling our one car is making it hard to do everything. (BTW our other car is a '97 Corolla. We love Toyota.)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Problem Solved

Well, my wife decided to take it to a mechanic that we know and trust. It turns out that the ground wire for the clutch safety switch had come undone. They recommended removing the switch, said they had seen a lot of problems with them and that they are basically unnecessary. We did that, all in all it cost $58.

·
Registered
1997Toyota Tercel CE
85 Posts
Consider yourself lucky. Most guys will end up with a much higher bill than that when their wives decide to take on mecanical duties.

·
N/A bites
Paseo
5,859 Posts
Honestly I'd replace the switch. I occasionally forget to push the clutch when turning the key and a couple of times that switch prevented an accident. If kids are ever in the car they LOVE to turn keys!

Honestly the mechanic overcharged you a bit too. I'll explain.
turn key hear click, repeat until starter spins, bad solenoid on starter or bad starter, same work
turn key, hear noithing, wiggle key start, bad key switch
turn key hear nothing, operate clutch, click start, bad clutch switch
turn key hear nothing, no lights, bad battery/connection

Diagnostics are really that easy, just remembering procedures is key. Bypassing took two wire cuts, two wire strips, one crimp done! a ten cent part and 2 honest minutes, 5 if counting 'diagnoistics' for $58 bux. Prolly 50 to diag, 8 to bandage.

If you decide to replace the switch let us know and we'll gladly walk you through it. We've walked a girl through an engine swap at a motel on the side of a highway so don't feel intimidated. After you might carry the splice back to the 'mechanic' and explain why you fixed it yourself the right way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts