Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
BAMF
97 Camry, 02 Hayabus
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
97 V-6 with A541E auto transmission.

Check engine light keeps going on and off. At times, the trans will not shift into the lower gears. Will leave a stop in third gear.

Checked code with scanner, it read P0753 - Shift Solenoid 'A'. Looked in the service manual and a malfunctioning Solenoid 'A' would cause the issue I'm having.

Doing a little research before I came on here, I keep seeing where when the solenoids start acting up, it's often a sign that the transmission is getting toasted and metal particles are clogging up the orifices in the solenoid(s).

So what I'm asking is has anyone else here had this specific problem and if y'all think it's worth my time and money to change the solenoid or should I start pricing a tranny rebuild?

Also, has anyone ever tried cleaning the solenoid to get the particles out of it to see if that might help the problem?

I was wanting to get some opinions before dropping the pan and seeing how much metal is there and what else I'll find.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
I don't do automatics, but your first step should be (in my opinion) pull the pan and check it out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts