Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. There is a wierd sound coming from the transmission of my camry. It has 170,000 miles on it. I took it to 2 places today and they both said it was coming from the transmission. One guy said it could be the torque converter and he could change the filter and replace the oil for 160.00 but couldn't guarantee it would do anything for the noise. He said my fluid was pretty dirty. I've never had that done. I've only had the care for 2 years. It was an excellently maintained vehicle when I purchased it (or it appeared to be). It was in CA and TX most of it's life, it now makes its home in the winterland of Wisconsin.

The car shifts the way it always has, I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary when driving it. I only heard the sound a couple of weeks ago when having my window down ordering at a drive through. To me it sounded like fluid gurgling it wasn't grinding.

Any opinions and suggestions are greatly appreciated. I really don't want to stick 160 into it if it's driving fine.

Thanks,
Kim

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
In all honesty, if the car has 170,000 miles on it, and if you haven't done transmission fluid service on it, and you don't know if it was ever done before you owned it, you have to assume it was never done. And 170,000 miles is like 4x too many miles, way past due. The transmission "may" have irreversible damage at this point. But there is no way for this forum to diagnose a sound we can't hear.

I would take it to a shop that specializes in transmissions. Where in Wisconsin are you? There is a fantastic transmission shop in Appleton, called Van Linn's (just in case you are near that area).

·
Registered
2016 Rav4
5,764 Posts
and to pile on to '93, if you do decide to change the trans fluid and filter, diy and it'll cost $35 for 4 qts of high mileage castrol atf and a filter and a couple of hours on your back removing 18 or so 10mm bolts and a few paper towels to wipe up the garage floor, versus $160!
tony

·
Registered
1997 Camry LE I4
981 Posts
I would just start with a simple ATF fluid change and see if that helps. You can buy Supertech high mileage ATF from Walmart at around $3.50 a quart, 3 bottles needed.

Drain and fill is a simple process. Check out youtube for how to videos. You might be lucky.

·
Almost 1/2 Million Miles!
92 Toyota Camry XLE
1,796 Posts
Hello. There is a wierd sound coming from the transmission of my camry. It has 170,000 miles on it. I took it to 2 places today and they both said it was coming from the transmission. One guy said it could be the torque converter and he could change the filter and replace the oil for 160.00 but couldn't guarantee it would do anything for the noise. He said my fluid was pretty dirty. I've never had that done. I've only had the care for 2 years. It was an excellently maintained vehicle when I purchased it (or it appeared to be). It was in CA and TX most of it's life, it now makes its home in the winterland of Wisconsin.

The car shifts the way it always has, I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary when driving it. I only heard the sound a couple of weeks ago when having my window down ordering at a drive through. To me it sounded like fluid gurgling it wasn't grinding.

Any opinions and suggestions are greatly appreciated. I really don't want to stick 160 into it if it's driving fine.

Thanks,
Kim
Kim,

I am assuming that the shop you took your vehicle checked to see if the Transmission Fluid Level was correct?

Like a few here have posted, I believe you need to consider changing out your vehicle's Transmission Fluid assuming it has never been done. I believe the longest my Camry gone without a Fluid change was just a little under 90,000 miles and I live in very hot and humid conditions in Central Florida. Not paying attention, my Transmission pan seal began to allow a small leak and one day I noticed a condition known as Torque Converter Shudder

This is mostly due to low level fluid and perhaps a combination of very old fluid. You can read up more at:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1968540

With 433,800+ miles I did take it to a shop known here as Tire-Kingdom and I asked specifically to place their Machine at the lowest flow setting "AND" NOT to place any Cleaner additives while the machine is performing the Fluid change out in order NOT to have any issues with the Transmission bands as my vehicle has over 400,000 miles.;)

The Fluid change out using the machine at the SHOP cost me $139.99 plus Tax and they gave me a coupon of $25.00 Off for the service and now the car has over 450,000 miles and shifts like new.

Good Luck!:hi:

·
Registered
542 Posts
I would just start with a simple ATF fluid change and see if that helps. You can buy Supertech high mileage ATF from Walmart at around $3.50 a quart, 3 bottles needed.

Drain and fill is a simple process. Check out youtube for how to videos. You might be lucky.
This. if it were my car, i'd try a simple fluid change and be prepared for the possible consequences. Whatever you do, don't flush it! That will probably kill the trans for sure. Here's what i mean.

I have been on this forum for quite a while FWIW, and i have read several posts from people with high mileage cars (over 100,000) who killed their transmission by flushing it. Transmission worked acceptable before the flush, dead after. The opinions seemed to concur, that after a certain point without any fluid change-the dirt and crud from the bands were very likely the only thing hold the trans together inside! So flushing it washed out the dirt and eliminated the internal friction thus killing the trans. remember ATF is a great cleaner on its own and it will do its job when you introduce new fluid into an old transmission...

Yo want to do something about the noise but dont want to put much money into it. That's understandable as all of us are like that, thats why we are here. So the noise drives you bonkers, the only thing to do is throw some new fluid at it and see what happens. Doing that might very well at least decrease the noise-at worst why not just ignore it and keep driving? It's unlikely if the trans dies it will take anything else with it so, nothing to lose!

My dad drove a 1969 Dodge Coronet automatic wagon for 3 years after the transmission started slamming itself into gear from 2 to D! He just ignored it. He was not worried about being stranded it all-just kept driving-what did he have to lose? The trans was still slamming but the car was still driving, having never stranded him even once, when he finally sold it for $200.

Try the fluid change, After that get ready to either pay up for another trans or dump the car. And i like to change the atf on all my cars every 30,000 as soon as i get them, im sure you will on your next car for sure!

·
Almost 1/2 Million Miles!
92 Toyota Camry XLE
1,796 Posts

Thanks,
Kim
Kim,

I am against just draining the Transmission using the HEX Plug at the Bottom of the Transmission Pan should this year has one. Most here call this a "Simple" Drain / Flush.

Believe me that I have done this and you will NOT get all of the Fluid out as most of it is still in the TORQUE converter. Yes, I have drained the Fluid via the HEX Drain Plug (1992 has one) and when it almost all the fluid stopped dripping (took a long time) I then, dropped the Transmission Pan and it is a messy situation if you are not ready (make sure you wear protective goggles).

Not withstanding all the recommendations opposing a MACHINE FLUSH, you are better off doing it in this manner and the best is to pick a Shop where they allow you to be there to witness what they are doing. Most MACHINES that perform FLUSH can be adjusted to the SLOWEST RATE so, the Fluid can be gently pumped out while the new Fluid is inserted right behind the old Fluid. The KEY is to NOT use any Solvent Cleaners / Additives while the MACHINE FLUSH is in progress.

Again, my very old and super High Mileage Camry with 450,653 miles is still shifting like new because of the MACHINE FLUSH.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
97 camry v6 XLE

As I was driving to the shop which is a good 45 min away, I was driving it pretty hard and had no transmission slipping where the rpm's rev up and you lose speed at all. But I almost seemed to feel a slight bucking when driving down the road not accelerating,I've never felt that before.

I wanted to keep driving it till it breaks But I was afraid of getting stuck without a car and have some very important events coming up where I'll be driving several hundred miles.

They are charging me 1200 for everything but only 90 warranty. I have to purchase a 2 year parts and labor warranty for 400. Not sure if I should do that or not, but can decide within the 90 days. What would you all advise?

93celica, I did call VAn Linns in Appleton, but they were quite a bit higher.

The shop I went to has been working on our cars for over 20 years and the one mechanic we deal with is really good at diagnosing toyotas.

Opinions on if I should be the extended warranty are appreciated.

Thanks for all your replies.

Kim

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
As I was driving to the shop which is a good 45 min away, I was driving it pretty hard and had no transmission slipping where the rpm's rev up and you lose speed at all. But I almost seemed to feel a slight bucking when driving down the road not accelerating,I've never felt that before.

I wanted to keep driving it till it breaks But I was afraid of getting stuck without a car and have some very important events coming up where I'll be driving several hundred miles.

They are charging me 1200 for everything but only 90 warranty. I have to purchase a 2 year parts and labor warranty for 400. Not sure if I should do that or not, but can decide within the 90 days. What would you all advise?

93celica, I did call VAn Linns in Appleton, but they were quite a bit higher.

The shop I went to has been working on our cars for over 20 years and the one mechanic we deal with is really good at diagnosing toyotas.

Opinions on if I should be the extended warranty are appreciated.

Thanks for all your replies.

Kim
Kim, what is the shop you are taking the car to doing for $1,200? I don't think there was a definitive diagnosis performed yet to understand what is wrong, was there? If only a wiring connection has failed, are they still going to charge you $1,200? The cost sounds like a complete overhaul. Unless some diagnosis was done (which I don't see within this thread that it was done), I sure wouldn't be planning on spending that kind of cash. You could get a good used transmission and have it installed for less than this, if you really needed to go that far.

The warranty would cover defects in materials and workmanship on the service performed. Not knowing what the service is, no one can really comment on the value of this warranty.

What was Van Linn's in Appleton quoting you (not the cost, but what service were they saying they needed to do)?

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
But I almost seemed to feel a slight bucking when driving down the road not accelerating,I've never felt that before.
Also, is this exactly what your engine looks like? If so, do you see the area within the red box? That is your EGR valve. There is a position sensor on top of the EGR valve. Disconnect the wiring harness, remove the 2 screws (carefully so you don't loose them), then remove the sensor. There is a small plunger at the bottom of that sensor that is spring loaded. Push that plunger fully up & down a couple dozen times. Replace everything. See if your slight bucking symptoms go away.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.