Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Ninja wrench anywhere
1,524 Posts
Any dealer or auto parts store will sell remanufactured alternators. The "core" means your old alternator -- they want it so they can remanufacture it and sell it to someone else.

My personal preference (unless the windings are fried...pretty rare) is to have a local electrical motor shop rebuild the alternator -- better chance the job wasn't rushed.

·
イリジウム
14,751 Posts
Usually the first thing to go are the carbon brushes. These come in a replaceable assembly about $20. Otherwise go to your local NAPA parts store get and their rebuilt. You don't have to pay shipping and you hand them the old alternator (the "core" so they can rebuild it).

You can buy Denso, Bosch, or Delco alternators for about $180+shipping and return shipping for the core. That's why it's often better at your local NAPA. It's easier on warranty claims (usually 3 years+).

·
03 Camry & 06 Sienna
2006 Sienna LE
53 Posts
I just bought a lifetime warranty AutoLite remanufactured alternator from Checker/Riley for $140. They took my old one as a 'core', otherwise you pay the core charge of $40.

Not sure of the quality yet, but you can't argue with lifetime warranty. I put the receipt in the glovebox for safe keeping.

·
Ninja wrench anywhere
1,524 Posts
I just bought a lifetime warranty AutoLite remanufactured alternator from Checker/Riley for $140. They took my old one as a 'core', otherwise you pay the core charge of $40.

Not sure of the quality yet, but you can't argue with lifetime warranty. I put the receipt in the glovebox for safe keeping.
I disagree -- there's no substitute for quality (otherwise we'd all be buying Hyundais because of their kickin' warranty). I learned this lesson after watching my dad take back the family car every few years to Midas to get the POS "lifetime warranted" muffler replaced yet again.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe alternator was never changed in my Toyota. The only reason I want to change it is because bearings in the pulley wheel make high pitch noise. No it is not a belt . When it warms up noise disappears but it bothers me when I start it up. Can I just change the pulley wheel?? Or maybe bearings are deeper inside.

·
イリジウム
14,751 Posts
That's interesting. From what you describe I'd say it's a slipping belt (either loose belt or high alternator drag, i.e., bearings). But if you're sure that's not a loose belt, then for the work of replacing two bearings and the brush assembly, plus double checking the diode/regulator you might as well get a rebuilt.

I'm personally not sure about anything "Autolite", but in general Autozone's gotten better over the years. I'd look at Denso rebuilt, Bosch new/rebuilt, or NAPA.

http://www.boschautoparts.com/Products/AlternatorsandStarters/PP100NewAlternators

I believe alternator was never changed in my Toyota. The only reason I want to change it is because bearings in the pulley wheel make high pitch noise. No it is not a belt . When it warms up noise disappears but it bothers me when I start it up. Can I just change the pulley wheel?? Or maybe bearings are deeper inside.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.