Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'98 4Runner, automatic transmission, V6 engine (not sure of model number, did they change?) SR5.

It's my girlfriends and its got about 160k miles on it. In the last week whenever she has been idling at a light or idling through traffic the car stalled completely on her. RPMs dropped down, engine shut off, and she had to restart it. This is really bad news because she commutes for class on I4 and can't break down in the middle of nowhere interstate 30 miles away from anyone to come help.

What could the cause be? She had it taken to a friend of the family who inspected it, then turned around and charged her $150 to say he couldn't find anything.

We had the starter replaced recently as well as one of the gaskets (was leading around the heads). I know it had CEL recently for a bad sensor (camshaft maybe?).

Anyway, with this engine at this mileage, what are the causes of stalling? Where to look first?

TL;DR: Car stalling. Starter recently replaced, had CEL w/ code for camshaft sensor. Where to look for faults?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Ha, $150 for nothing huh? Doesn't sound like much of a friend...

Stalling when idling most likely means it's time for a good tune up. Spark plugs and wires, clean the throttle body and especially the IAC at the bottom of the throttle body. The IAC is the Idle Air Control valve. Could also be the throttle position sensor but doubtful. Hook up an OBD scanner and check to see if there's still a code stored and what it might be.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
About this Discussion
1 Reply
2 Participants
kball
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing