Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 98 Camry and need to replace the front speakers. The car has speakers in the rear deck that are 3 ohm, the speakers in the door are 2 ohm and there are tweeters on the upper door that I do not know what the ohms are. (All are factory stock)
My question is, I have a pair of 4 ohm speakers that will fit in the door. Can I replace the 2 ohm speakers and cut loose the tweeters and put the 4 ohm speakers in and not do damage to the stock stereo? Is there anything special I need to know about the hook up between the door speakers and door tweeters in relation to the stereo unit?

·
Registered
468 Posts
You can use a 4 ohm speaker with-out damaging the headunit but the output will be slightly lower. I would keep the existing tweeters for better imaging. Just connect your new speakers to the wires from the original speaker, but make sure your polarity is correct or bass output will suffer. LF+ pink/ LF- purple/ RF+ green/RF- blue ( these colours should match the wires at the speakers).

·
Got SQ?
780 Posts
leave the tweeter, just replace the speaks, I believe crutchfield sells speaker harness so you dont have to splice anything. Your output will definitely be lower since those radios only put out like 12 watts rms.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts