·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
98 camry 2.2 5fse

the engine in my 98 camry is toast. i have found many 94 - 96
2.2 5fse engines but was told they wouldn't enterchange with
the 98. if the engine itself is the same i have no problem swaping
any external components. will they enterchange?

·
The Greatest
3,830 Posts
They should work, I think the placement is just different from some mounts.

And j/w what is ur car manual or auto.

P.s. Im going to see if i can get a mod to move this to the Camry section for more views/ replies. If you cant find this thread here, Go to the camry section.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
98 camry 2.2 5fse

this vehicle is an automatic.
if the difference is in the mounts, can i use my mounts on the older block. i mean are the holes in the block going to line up
with the mounting brackets.
if the engine itself, i.e. block and head are the same i will strip
this older engine bare and transfer all my manifolds, sensors, mounts and anything else that i need to.

thanks

·
Grenaded piston
6,523 Posts
1. A 5S block is a 5S block. So the holes on the block for the front and rear engine mount are there on both blocks (95 and 98).

Just make sure that the new engine your getting is from a Camry. My buddy and I swapped a 5S-FE from a Celica into a 94 Camry. On that block (5S-FE from Celica) there was only 1 or 2 holes for the rear engine mount, so we had to drill and tap the block for the other mounting holes.

2. Theres 4 mounts on a gen 3 Camry (92 - 96). Front engine mount, rear engine mount, dogbone mount, and tranny mount (on the bottom of the tranny).

It should be the same on a gen 4 Camry (97 - 01).

3. 92 - 96 Camrys (Gen 3) have distributors and return fuel systems.

97 - 01 Camrys (Gen 4) have DIS (distributorless ignition system) and returnless fuel systems.

So good luck trying to get that to work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
swaping the upper end i.e. intake,throttle body, fuel rail ect. should take care of the fuel system. however i do have a dis system. does the distributer on the gen 3 go into the block or the cyl head?

·
The Greatest
3,830 Posts
88 LE said:
1. A 5S block is a 5S block. So the holes on the block for the front and rear engine mount are there on both blocks (95 and 98).

Just make sure that the new engine your getting is from a Camry. My buddy and I swapped a 5S-FE from a Celica into a 94 Camry. On that block (5S-FE from Celica) there was only 1 or 2 holes for the rear engine mount, so we had to drill and tap the block for the other mounting holes.

2. Theres 4 mounts on a gen 3 Camry (92 - 96). Front engine mount, rear engine mount, dogbone mount, and tranny mount (on the bottom of the tranny).

It should be the same on a gen 4 Camry (97 - 01).

3. 92 - 96 Camrys (Gen 3) have distributors and return fuel systems.

97 - 01 Camrys (Gen 4) have DIS (distributorless ignition system) and returnless fuel systems.

So good luck trying to get that to work.
Very good info. :thumbup: Sticky it or something, Dont let it go to waste.

·
I'm a Mac
DD - 94 Mitsu 3000GT
4,062 Posts
what you'll need to do, since the electronics will change and the ignition system is different, is take all the wiring and non interchange parts from the 98 motor and throw them on the 95 motor... it will be rough, you will have to figure out how to get the DIS system working cause the 95 is distributor based. that means possibly putting your 98 heads on the 95 block... you gotta find out if you can use the heads, like what happened to the motor.? ya know... that will be the hard part.
you can always get the wiring harness and ecu from the 95 motor and just use all of that and splice some wires to the older ecu. the wiring is roughly the same, so it will be not TOO hard, but ti will still be a challenge.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts