Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '98 camry V6 with the A541E Tranny just under 160,000 miles.

Here's my story.
Just recently drained a refilled the tranny, not a flush. The fluid was very dark. I fugured I would do this over the next few oil changes rather than a flush since I've heard bad things about flushes on high milage trannys. No idea when it was serviced before this if at all. I've done this onpast cars and had very good results.

Well aprox 1000 miles later I get the check engine light. The code is 1765, for the Shift Solenoid Valve SLN Circuit. (is this also refered to as solenoid #4?)

I dropped the pan cleaned the filter and pan, it wasn't bad, and refilled hoping it might help. It didn't.

While doing this I did make not of the internals and it looks like the solenoid in question is very accessable when just droppping the pan. (It's the one on the drivers side of the tranny when looking at it from underneth with out the pan and filter right? I checked the connections). If I remember correctly it looked like one bolt holding it. If the connections and wires are ok and the Solenid needs to be replaced can it be done without removing the valve body? If so does it just pullout after removing that bolt? Is there anything weird I need to watch for such as making sure any o rings come out or don't come out?

Also where would I be able to get the selonoid? Parts store only seem to list the solenoids for #'s 1 & 2. Would a tranny shop just sell the part? any guessamite on the price for the part.

Oh right now the only difference is that the shifts from 1-2 are a bit harder tha normal. Is it ok to drive while researching the fix?

Thanks in advance for this an all the other help I've received justr from reading the board.

Kevin

·
Registered
528 Posts
So I assume it is the variable pressure shift solenoid that is malfunctioning for you since your 1-2 shift is harder. This solenoid varies the pressure with a PCM signal from the TCM similar to what a throttle pressure cable does on the A540E. Your trans has 4 solenoids, correct? 2 shift solenoids, a lock up solenoid for the torque converter, and this variable throttle pressure solenoid.

You can get that solenoid from here: http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=2&Category_Code=A540solenoid

The one you want is not actually listed on the site I think, but call them and ask them.

Yes, there is only a single bolt that is holding in the solenoid. You just wiggle it out. The new solenoid should come with a new o-ring installed. Just lubricate it with trans fluid and wiggle it back in. There is usually a filter screen on the tip of the solenoids on the OEM parts. For your old one, it may be that there is some junk blocking it after your fluid change. You may want to pull out the old one and just check that. The new solenoid may not have that filter screen. If you are careful, you can pop it off the old one with a small precision screwdriver and reuse it on the new one after cleaning it of course. Otherwise, don't worry too much about putting one back in, especially at 160,000 mi.

cheers.

davemc

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
davemc,
Thanks for the quick reply and the info. I'm glad you mentioned the tip possibly having dirt in it. That's what I was thinking as well. And yes it does have the 4 solenoids.

Thanks again for the information.

Kevin

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1 - 5 of 5 Posts