1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Corolla
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

New guy here.
I recently purchased a 98 corolla LE with over 200KM. I noticed grinding and humming kind of noise coming from the passenger side. I had a mechanic look at it and he showed to my surprise what the problem is.
The transaxle that goes into the transmission on the right side is loose, it looks like the bearing inside the differential is screwed up. He suggested getting a scrap yard trany and replacing the whole thing.
Is the any simpler/cheaper way? Any way of replacing the bearing without removing the transmission, as it shifts and drives fine.

Thanks.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Hi all,

New guy here.
I recently purchased a 98 corolla LE with over 200KM. I noticed grinding and humming kind of noise coming from the passenger side. I had a mechanic look at it and he showed to my surprise what the problem is.
The transaxle that goes into the transmission on the right side is loose, it looks like the bearing inside the differential is screwed up. He suggested getting a scrap yard trany and replacing the whole thing.
Is the any simpler/cheaper way? Any way of replacing the bearing without removing the transmission, as it shifts and drives fine.

Thanks.

no. it is easier to swap to a known good transmission. to replace one of those bearings is a pain. the transmission will have to be removed either way. best to just replace it with a good trans with a warranty.

·
Registered
Corolla
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I should look for a transmission now. :chug:
What's better, rebuilt or crap yard one with some warranty?
Up to 2002 should fit no problem, am I right?

·
Registered
730 Posts
I should look for a transmission now. :chug:
What's better, rebuilt or crap yard one with some warranty?
Up to 2002 should fit no problem, am I right?
if it is a 5spd then any trans from 98-02 would fit, but if iti is an automatic you need to know if it is a 3spd or 4spd auto. if it is a 4spd then you will need a 00-02, 3spd 98-99.

if it was my car, i would opt for the rebuilt transmission any day of the week. that way you are guaranteed to have a good transmission with a warranty of some sorts.

·
Registered
Corolla
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's 4 speed automatic (with overdrive button). The car is 98, so I can get a rebuilt up to 2002 right?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same problem here but my 98 is lose driver side only I put 2 new axle's I took the driver side axle out and is grinding metal to metal right by where the seal sits any suggestions

·
Registered
2007 Corolla S
248 Posts
Yeah unfortunately to get those bearings out it is transaxle out and case split. And a job not for the average DIYer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts