Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can I convert 1998 headlights to 2000 headlights. Is there a way to splice the wires so that it would work?

·
Registered
339 Posts
bush said:
How can I convert 1998 headlights to 2000 headlights. Is there a way to splice the wires so that it would work?
Yes, wiring up a custom harness is simple, getting the actual body parts (bumper/grille, corner lights, headlamp assy) costs $$$$.

For each side, you basically need three main parts (not including the wires you'll need to solder up):

1) Find an old 9003/H4 bulb and break it so you have a "socket" that will fit your current headlight connector (or just buy a reverse 9003 socket, although I haven't seen these around before). You will also need 2) a 9005 socket and 3) a 9006 socket to plug into your new bulbs. Solder the ground and 12v connections between the 9003, 9005, and 9006 sockets and your good to go.

·
Registered
17 Posts
woshiagni said:
Yes, wiring up a custom harness is simple, getting the actual body parts (bumper/grille, corner lights, headlamp assy) costs $$$$.

For each side, you basically need three main parts (not including the wires you'll need to solder up):

1) Find an old 9003/H4 bulb and break it so you have a "socket" that will fit your current headlight connector (or just buy a reverse 9003 socket, although I haven't seen these around before). You will also need 2) a 9005 socket and 3) a 9006 socket to plug into your new bulbs. Solder the ground and 12v connections between the 9003, 9005, and 9006 sockets and your good to go.
know would that be the same witha 99 and how exactly do u wire them in all together?

·
Registered
1999 Toyota Camry
223 Posts
I recently did the conversion without swapping the bumper or anything. A little cutting here and a little trimming there, and they are beautiful. All the tools you need is a razor blade, a dremmel, and a big c clamp. no to mention alot of patience.

For the wiring, I purchased a high wattage headlight wiring kit for 9005 / 9006, and I used a H3 high wattage harness adapter so I did not have to cut my factory wires. I took some pics and I plan to do a detailed write-up sometime soon.

·
Registered
17 Posts
97trdcamry said:
I recently did the conversion without swapping the bumper or anything. A little cutting here and a little trimming there, and they are beautiful. All the tools you need is a razor blade, a dremmel, and a big c clamp. no to mention alot of patience.

For the wiring, I purchased a high wattage headlight wiring kit for 9005 / 9006, and I used a H3 high wattage harness adapter so I did not have to cut my factory wires. I took some pics and I plan to do a detailed write-up sometime soon.
were did u get those from i looked on ebay for the 9005/9006 kits but im not sure if its the rite thing. and i cant find the the harness to connect to the factory harness

·
Registered
1999 Toyota Camry
223 Posts
I purchased the following items:

High wattage harness for 9005 / 9006 (part # Part # CSI/WIR-9005-9006 ) from this eBay seller :
sevensat. it was item number 290030986506. Total cost was $38.00 including shipping. You can go to sevensaturdays.com and give them the part number and they should be able to get one for you. It is a really high quality harness and when I cut my high beams on, the low beams stay on as well. It's great!!

H4 wiring harness:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/H4-socket-wiring-harness-one-pair-fit-xenon-hid-bulb_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33710QQihZ012QQitemZ220037167775

Total cost is $17.94 including shipping. All you really need is one male H4 end to wire into the other harness and to plug into the factory female H4 end of the oem headlight harness. I purchased this item, and I have an extra one because it came with two. I'll sell it to you for $10 shipped if you are interested.

Hope this helps!!

·
Registered
Toyota Camry
2,599 Posts
bush said:
alot of work, and this topic has been covered alot of times before :naughty:

"Search" and you shall find your answer ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts