Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, sorry if this has been covered already, the only threads I found sounding similar just mentioned shift solenoids. I also know nothing about cars so bear that in mind.

My 98 LE automatic (130k) is shifting from 2nd to 3rd much later than it should about half the time. Normally it shifts around 26mph @ maybe 2400 RPM. Now it sometimes shifts around 35mph @ 3000 RPM. It's been a couple months since the first time I noticed it, so I'm not sure how long exactly it's been happening. It basically stays in 2nd a long time, shifts to 3rd, then shifts to 4th pretty soon after that.

It's hard for me to determine if it happens more often when I first leave because it's hilly near my house, so the first time I go over 25mph is going uphill, so it would normally shift latter anyway (this is probably why I didn't notice the problem right away). It could be related to a cold engine or cold weather, but it was acting up recently at 50 degrees out as well.

Also, yesterday I was on the highway for the first time in a while and it lagged into 4th as well (55mph, 4000 RPM) when I was gunning it as I first went on. On normal 55mph roads I never noticed it lagging into 4th. I tested the 2nd-3rd shift once by gunning it, and it also got worse, shifting @4000 RPM. Getting on the highway was the only time I've had a lag in the 3rd-4th shift.

I don't know anything about automatic transmissions or what causes them to shift, so I literally have no idea what the issue could be. I got my oil changed a month ago and they said the tranny fluid level was fine. My last car's tranny was slipping before I scrapped it, and it's not like that, because it still accelerates the whole time, just more slowly as the RPMs pass 2500.

There hasn't been a check-engine light on (although my always-on airbag light just went out after changing the stereo :confused:), if that would indicate anything. I'm on a tight budget, so I'd rather not do some 250 dollar flush and clean with no guarantee it will address the problem. If there is a cheap thing I can try or a cheap way to diagnose what may be wrong, I'd like to go that route. About a year ago my mechanic noticed a PS fluid leak he said would need repair, and lately my wheels seem slightly out of alignment, so if there's no way for me to check codes/fluids/flush or whatever myself, I could just have him diagnose the three problems at once.

Basically I'd love it if anyone could tell me what you think the problem might be, what's the cheapest way to diagnose it, how much it would cost to fix it (if it's obvious what it is), and how urgent it is. I don't want to wait out a serious problem and have to replace the transmission because of it. Thanks.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I'd say take it back to the shop, and make sure they have the right amount of tranny fluid. You can also check yourself with the dip stick.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts