Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rain last night was horrible. I went through an intersection only to find myself plowing through water 20mph, 8inches deep. When I made it through, the engine stumbled, and the Check Engine light came on. From then on, the engine's been shuttering when I lift off the gas quickly, especially around 1000 rpm.

I checked the codes and got
p0300 random/multiple misfire
p0301 cyl 1 misfire
p0304 cyl 4 misfire

I reset the ecu and the light's stayed off. However, the engine's feeling weak and still shuttering when lifting the throttle.

Is there anything I should check or be concerned about?

Thanks for the help!

Jae

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well... With VW's the problem with misfiring is always the coil pack or other parts of the ignition system... Honestly I'm not sure about with the Camry's, you might not even have a distributer... But if you do, I would check the distributer cap and make sure that there isn't dirt and oil underneath it... Clean everything off, and reassemble. If you don't have a distributer, then I guess check your wires and other ignition parts... Those are almost always the source for cylinder misfires... I was having this problem not too long ago and I just did a complete ignition tuneup, gained some power and haven't had a problem since.

Sorry I don't know too much about the Camry's but I'm always trying to learn, just thought I would try to help. :thumbup: Hopefully someone can give you a Camry-specific answer. Good luck man!

EDIT: Oh yea and by resetting the ECU, pretty much all you did was clear the codes (I think)... So if you're still stuttering and what not, eventually the CEL will come back on and with it the codes will come... So you just kinda brushed the dirt under the rug. :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Your cam is a gen 4 like mine, and should be DIS. so I would check your coil packs, ig. wires and any other electrical connections that may have been affected by water.
Oh, and your car is OBD 2, which means you cannot "clear" codes by disconnecting the Batt. ( you made the light go off temporarily), but all you did was put the code back in pending or suspended status which may afffect other systems that are being monitored. A misfire code is considered a MAJOR monitor which means it is your pcms # 1 priority to protect its systems, this is due to the fact that a misfire affects emissions and eventually will do damage to the cat.
Now, if your lite is on steady= minor misfire (every 1-2000 rpm) flashing on/off= major misfire/system damage (every 100 rpm)
You would know when it is major also becuase at that point your car will be in a "limp home mode" (barely stay running)
good luck-

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanx for the info. This's sounding serious. Yeah, the light is constant @ idle, but once I get above 2000 rpm, it blinks at me. Limp home mode sounds correct, as there's a serious lack of accelerating power. And at idle, it's real lumpy.

I have a obd-2 code scanner and used it to clear the codes. What's strange is, the codes come back after the 2nd trip... shouldn't misfire be a serious concern and warrant a 1st trip? Anyways, who cares... just rambling.

The only thing I can think of easily inspecting are the spark plugs. And if I'm looking at the spark plug wires, what's the proper resistance for them? Oh, and coil packs have resistance... can somebody tell me those?

Thanx all.

Jae

·
Registered
66 Posts
does the engine knock or tap loudly? Check your air filter and mke sure its not wet and that there no water in your air box. You could've sucked water into the cylinders through the intake.

·
Registered
312 Posts
you have a misfire, the light blinking means it can be causing damage to the cat... the 4 coil is shorted and bad,, if you want to confirm that, swap the middle(cyl 4) coil pack, with the left(cyl 2) coil pack, drive it til the check eng light comes back on, and ill bet you now have codes 300 302 305, for cylinders 2 and 5, the car has 3 coil packs in front, then branches off 3 wires to the back cylinders, so when a coil pack fails, it takes out 2 cylinders.

swap the 2 coils and report back...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts