Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my mom blew 3 holes in the engine block. now i need a replacement. i know that the highlander, Sienna, Camry, Avalon and ES share the same engine, but, if i were to replace the 1mz from a jdm one or from a different model car (as mentioned above).............................is it a direct bolt on? difference in sensors, wire harness, vac lines, etc?

TIA.

·
engineer in training
1,586 Posts
The 1mz is an obd 2 engine, you need to match it up with another obd 2 engine... Im not a 1mz person... I dont know if the 97+ have egr or not, but if they do JDM engines do not have egr so thats a check engine light and an instant fail on an inspection. So i think you should be looking at pretty much any 97+ v6 to swap in, that should work.

Sorry she blew the engine, didnt change the oil? :( anyway best of luck!

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
your best bet is to just pick up a 1mz from another gen4 camry and keep it simple, then there would be no question

most 1mzs that you find will be from a gen4 camry anyway

·
Registered
98 Camry XLE V6
3,116 Posts
I didnt know the 1mz was on the highlander. Well maybe the first highlander, but the ones now are 3mz.

Dont go with JDM. Get a replacement from an older sienna or a gen 4 camry.

GOod Luck.

·
Registered
98 Camry XLE V6
3,116 Posts
i wouldnt bet on it. being its .3 liters more and its simply larger. The mounts...i dont believe are in the exact same places. At least from what i can see in our highlander vs my camry.

·
Registered
98 Camry XLE V6
3,116 Posts
For vvt-i you need more than just the engine. There are other parts your car needs to have. That is what ive been told.

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
no, the 3mz will fit pretty much for sure

take a look at the gen5 camry 1mz vs the 3mz- I'm presuming that they still mount the same way, or else they would have to make some major changes to put them in

but again, I've never had the chance to see how a 3mz looks in the gen5 yet, so I'm just making a logical assumption

but then it's also about wiring harness and ecu, along with little things such as egr, exhaust system and intake, which are fairly simple in comparison to hte wiring job into a gen4 or 3 even

1 - 10 of 10 Posts