Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 99 4Runner Engine Light keeps coming on. The only thing I've noticed is that it seems to come on after the fuel gauge shows half full. After checking as much of the wiring for any loose connections, making sure the gas cap was tight, I'm not sure what else to do. If I fill the tank up the engine light will go out within about 5km.

I've been told that I should check the MAF sensor and possibly clean it, but I don't see what that has to do with the fuel gauge.

I don't have a BR-3 OBDII systems analyzer or the windows software to check what the error code is. I live in Burlington, Ontario anyone close have one?

Once I figure out what the problem is I've read I can un-hook the battery to reset the codes, but I've also been told that by un-hooking the battery on some cars with air bags you permanently disable the air bags. Someone else mentioned just pulling the EFI fuse to reset the codes.

Anyways I need to figure out what the problem is first.

·
Toyota Fanboy
4,486 Posts
Do you have an Autozone nearby? They check codes for free.
It almost sounds like its got something to do with the air pressure in your fuel tank.
If you are below 1/2 tank and take the gascap off and release the built up air pressure, does the light go off?
Either way, Id plug an OBD 2 scanner in and see what codes you fine.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure if their is an AUTOZONE nearby but I'll check. My Toyota mechanic told me it can take a day or two for the engine light to go off even though the problem has been fixed. The gas cap pressure seems to be good when I refuel at half a tank.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
99 4Runner hesitation in damp weather

I've also been complaining about a jerky hesitation in my truck ever since I bought it off the dealer. They made a note of it since it was under warranty. They always told me to bring it in if does it. Problem being it has to be a really damp foggy, rainny day and the truck would only do it if it was from a cold start. Then it would clear up and go away. It would also only happen between 2 & 3 thousand RPM's. I've had this problem with domestic trucks it's always turned out to be a distributor problem, or the wires too.

Was wondering if this, a distributor or wire failure, could cause the engine light to come on?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Repair on P0172 code problem

I took off and cleaned the MAF sensor and PVC valves myself and I'll clean the throttle body out on Friday, probably replace the plugs while I'm at it. Not sure if I’ll bother doing the gas filter someone told me it's in the gas tank?
So far so good engine light has gone out. Picked up an OBDII code reader with the Windows software to get the problem code and reset the computer. So far it's cost me $250.00 total beats paying the dealer $1000.00 and I know those guys.

This site was lots of help http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenance/tacoma_4runner_30k/maintenancep5.html

:whatwhat:

And so were you Captain_Toyota. Thanks

·
Toyota Fanboy
4,486 Posts
My pleasure, XPY. If you need anything else, dont hesitate to ask. Thats why Im here. :thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts