Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks in advance to whoever takes a minute to think about this from a newbie in Utah.

I have a '99 4 runner limited, V-6 auto, about 150k miles. Check engine light was intermitant for about a month, now on all the time. Got it tested then replaced both O2 sensors with Denso factory part numbers. Cleared the codes via removal of the injector fuse. Re-tested via OBD 11 and still have all three codes. Starts and runs fine, mileage up about 2 mpg (probably too lean).

Wondered if anyone has a suggestion on where to start on this problem? I think I know enough to work through it given a good starting place / most probable issue??

James

·
This Space For Rent
14,152 Posts
Have you tried cleaning the MAF sensor? That could clear your P0171 code, not sure about the others. I'll move this thread to the appropriate forum, hope you get your problems sorted out. Welcome to the Nation! :hi:

·
Registered
180 Posts
they make a special cleaner for it. i use to use crc electrical cleaner and it worked fine then used their new maf snesor cleaner. Still sensor just gave out on me a while back. known issue

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I completed the MAF cleaning exactly as stated in the link you provided. Still have the dreaded c.e.l. light glowing. I pulled the injector fuse for 5 minutes so I assume the previous codes were cleared.

Crap - sorry it didn't work.

Could you share another suggestion?

·
Registered
180 Posts
I would buy a new maf. They are under 100 for a remanufactured one and if your's original it will probably fail anyways. Be careful when you take it out. i stripped one of the screws and it became a nightmare. use some penetrating oil and the right sized bit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would buy a new maf. They are under 100 for a remanufactured one and if your's original it will probably fail anyways. Be careful when you take it out. i stripped one of the screws and it became a nightmare. use some penetrating oil and the right sized bit.
I'll give that a try - hopefully that will do the trick. Thanks again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts