Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
1993 Camry SE,V6-5MT
1,171 Posts
Not one of OP's photos shows up in this thread, I wonder why is that?

·
Administrator
13,759 Posts
The links are a bunch of gibberish. Dunno how they ever worked?

Reactions: Nortonguy

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
GREAT!
did you block off oil hole on balance shaft?
Yes, I have a photo of the job I will get up. I used a 1/16th"x27tpi pipe plug because I had the tap already in my stash, it was the perfect size to just tap out the oil gallery that used to feed the balancer. I sawed the one part of the balancer off and dressed it up with a file and bolted it back to the bottom of the block so the support for the oil pickup would work the same as it always has.

When driving the car now it is noisier than before, but I attribute some of that to the magnaflow catalytic converter pipe that somehow lost it's internals before it was installed so it is straight through now, and also the insulation and padding under the hood and trunk lid has vanished. The magnaflow unit has very nice bends and it is large diameter. The rest of the new exhaust is Walker brand oem replacement parts. This is NO longer a family sedan with the extra noise the modifications have produced, but I did not want another family sedan, it is a fun project car to let me enjoy driving a stick shift again.

The car runs amazing! It has a LOT of power. I have a 2000 Camry LE 5fse auto that runs fantastically, very powerful still with 200k on the odometer, but this 99' runs even better, even after driving three other 5fse cars over the last ten years daily, this car really surprised me with it's power. I can floor the throttle in high gear on the interstate and it just picks up speed like a locomotive.

Lastly, as poorly maintained as this car was before I got it, it has NO warning lights on, no check engine light etc.. I am sure this car had it's original accessory belts, they said Toyota on them and were all cracked, I think the entire car was pretty much how it left the factory when I got it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The links are a bunch of gibberish. Dunno how they ever worked?
I fixed some of the photos, will fix more and add more soon. I uploaded the photos instead of linking to them, that is the better way to go.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Here is how I did the balance shafts.

I looked through my drawer of taps and found three I thought would be the right size, one was a 1/16th x 27 tpi pipe tap. My local hardware store surprisingly had the pipe plug that size. The tap went in the oil feed perfectly, but I worked it slowly in and out and kept oil on it until I got it deep enough so the plug would be just barely under flush with the surface. I put four tiny stakes around the plug with a centerpunch. So it is a tapered plug that jams itself in very tightly, then with the staking around it I am not worried about it ever coming out.

I sawed the corner of the balance shaft housing off along with the end of the steel spacer on that side and that made a stand for the oil pickup support bracket.

Next time I will do this job differently !!! I will take the balance shafts out of the housing and put the ENTIRE housing back in place with the plug installed IN THE HOUSING. I think this large alloy casting acts to stiffen the lower-end of the block, plus it also acts as a windage tray between the crank and the oil as is put in many high performance engines. This way you could throw the balance shafts and bearings in a box, or even leave the bearings in, and if you or the next owner later decides they want them back in then they could do it easily.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
wow, somebody really abused that clutch to get it that worn in only 75,000 miles!
Kids. I am guessing the old guy who bought the car new took good care of it, but then he let his son and grandson use the car and they never did JACK to it in maintenance, and probably did not now how to drive it either. If the clutch had not worn out they probably would not have sold the car to me, so I call it a blessing in disguise. Just went for a night cruise around town and it was a lovely time, everything worked perfectly including the A/C I charged up a few days ago.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts