Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys. I have a 99 Camry with 325K that I used to daily drive. To avoid putting too many more miles on it, I decided to park it and start driving my truck more often. We're keeping the Camry as a third vehicle in case my fiance and I ever have car trouble.

Here's my issue. The Camry sat for a little over a month, and the other day I checked the fluids (which were all fine) and decided to give it a start up. I seriously expected it to start up right away after letting the fuel lines prime, but it just cranked over with no start. After goosing the gas pedal a little, I did get it to run, but I had to keep giving it gas. Once I get it to running on its own, it will run at a hard sputtering idle for about two minutes, then suddenly the RPS jump to normal and it runs exactly as it did before I parked it. Start-ups immediately after it's ran for a bit are normal, but if I walk away for an hour then try starting it again, it's back to square one with the sputtering and needing manual pedal feed. This is the first time in 10+ years I've ever had a problem with it not starting and running first try. So I guess I should consider myself lucky. Lol.

I'm hoping someone can point me in a good direction to start diagnosing it. In my mind it could be a million things, so maybe someone has had this issue before? I searched the forum, but couldn't find anything concrete.

Thanks for your time!

Edit to add: Everything aside from the water pump, timing belt, and plugs is OE to that car. I do have the EGR code, and I was about half way through replacing the usual parts to track it down. That's never affected the way it runs before though. It's been very well maintained, and still drove and ran smooth as silk before parking it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wouldn't think egr would cause that, could be as simple needing fresh gas. Throttle body and idle air control valve may need cleaned. I'd check the air filter as well. Is it only throwing the P0401 code?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response, Norza. Air filter is clean, and I did gas it up that day and added some seafoam. I haven't run much of either through it yet, though. Wasn't sure how long I should leave it running. The air filter is almost new, but I'd bet the other items you mentioned could use a good cleaning for sure. I'll have to scan it today to see if there are any new codes, but yes the only one before this happened was the P0401 code.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I wouldn't imagine the egr low flow would be your issue, my car has had that code for ages now, funny enough I have a 99 camry 2.2l that's maroon with exactly 325k miles. Forgot to ask is your car a 4cyl or 6?

·
Administrator
13,759 Posts
If the EGR valve is sticking open it’ll cause a rough idle, or stalling. It shouldn’t open at idle at all.

Could also be a sticky IACV; Idle Air Control Valve.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wouldn't imagine the egr low flow would be your issue, my car has had that code for ages now, funny enough I have a 99 camry 2.2l that's maroon with exactly 325k miles. Forgot to ask is your car a 4cyl or 6?
We have (nearly) twins. Lol. Mine has the 5SFE too, but mine is gray.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If the EGR valve is sticking open it’ll cause a rough idle, or stalling. It shouldn’t open at idle at all.

Could also be a sticky IACV; Idle Air Control Valve.
The EGR Valve and a few other EGR parts are nearly new, but I could always check them out anyway. I'm going to be pulling the throttle body and IACV off this week to give them both a good cleaning and make sure everything moves freely. That's never been done since I've owned it. I'll post the results.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine had been having low idle problems on startup, ended up snagging a new throttle body with idle air control and throttle position sensor off a lower mile car from pull a part, runs better than it did when I got the car 10 years ago now. At the bottom of the throttle body there is a connector with two screws going that contains the idle air control valve electro magnet. If you can get those screws out and gain access to the IAC plunger, when you clean it you can rotate that to clean it better without have to remove the whole idle air control. Hopefully with a good cleaning you'll be good as new. Did you ever check for any other engine codes?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hey guys. I have a 99 Camry with 325K that I used to daily drive. To avoid putting too many more miles on it, I decided to park it and start driving my truck more often. We're keeping the Camry as a third vehicle in case my fiance and I ever have car trouble.

Here's my issue. The Camry sat for a little over a month, and the other day I checked the fluids (which were all fine) and decided to give it a start up. I seriously expected it to start up right away after letting the fuel lines prime, but it just cranked over with no start. After goosing the gas pedal a little, I did get it to run, but I had to keep giving it gas. Once I get it to running on its own, it will run at a hard sputtering idle for about two minutes, then suddenly the RPS jump to normal and it runs exactly as it did before I parked it. Start-ups immediately after it's ran for a bit are normal, but if I walk away for an hour then try starting it again, it's back to square one with the sputtering and needing manual pedal feed. This is the first time in 10+ years I've ever had a problem with it not starting and running first try. So I guess I should consider myself lucky. Lol.

I'm hoping someone can point me in a good direction to start diagnosing it. In my mind it could be a million things, so maybe someone has had this issue before? I searched the forum, but couldn't find anything concrete.

Thanks for your time!

Edit to add: Everything aside from the water pump, timing belt, and plugs is OE to that car. I do have the EGR code, and I was about half way through replacing the usual parts to track it down. That's never affected the way it runs before though. It's been very well maintained, and still drove and ran smooth as silk before parking it.
Have you checked for OBD2 error codes? I would start there. If no codes I would check for gas, spark, etc. Also it could be something as simple as water condensation in the gas or a clogged air filter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts