Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much power boost would I get if I installed a 6 cylinder engine into my 4cyl? The ebay ad for the engine said 225hp vs my 133hp. At least, that's what the default specs say, I really have no idea how to measure it myself. Is there a way?

Anyway, I'm not too concerned about the money, but most from what I read is just that you might as well just buy another car with higher horse power. The problem with that, is that I'd be inheriting a whole new slew of problems I don't know about. I know the oddities of the car I'm driving, so that's the main reason I'm not really considering buying a "new" used car.

My main purpose is better ability to merge into traffic. Sometimes my car just doesn't accelerate the way I want it to. Is there a better/cheaper fix to this problem?

·
Registered
43 Posts
That would be new wiring harness, new mounts, new trans, new engine. It's a lot of work. You would also be decreasing fuel economy. And make the car heavier. At that price point, if you have a manual swap in a 3sgte instead. If you have an auto then a 3sgte swap is doable with a stand alone ECU to control the engine while your stock controls the trans, but it requires a lot of work. You could also go the turbo route for the 5sfe you already have.

Honestly, at this point in the Camry's life, give it some maintenance. If you truly feel like your current engine is sluggish, it may be time for a rebuild or even just replace the engine all together with a newer one. There are plenty of 5sfe with less than 60k floating about.

I just switched from a 2004 Celica GTS with 6 speed manual. That's 180hp in a 2500 pound car. Trust me, those things are actually pretty quick. Now I am driving a 98 Camry auto with the 5sfe. That's a drop in 50 hp and an additional 500 pounds. And it's an auto so it's slower. Yet I feel it has no issues keeping up and passing in traffic. And this guy has 350k on the clock.

Most people will tell you it's a waste of money since you can get a v6 Camry for fairly cheap, at least where I live. This generation of Camry only goes for less than 4k in great condition. I mean, I got mine for $700 haha.

·
Super Moderator
12,601 Posts
I believe the specs are 198 HP for the V6 Vs 135 HP for the I4, "at the brochure"

Besides the engine, the swap would require the engine wiring harness, radiator & hoses, axles, ECU, instrument cluster, the dash wiring harness, and probably a bunch of other bits. It would be best to have a complete donor car so you would have all those "forgotten" bits, and the bigger brakes that come with the V6.

The amount of work entailed would be daunting, to say the least.

·
short-throw dipstick
5,862 Posts
OMG I respect this needs-more-power new poster so much! OP, mad respect for not asking about turbos.

Yes, just buy a V6 Camry because all the work has been done for you since the factory. If you can find a manual, more power to you.

·
Registered
355 Posts
No offense but it is a fools errand to do an engine swap on a 20 yr old Camry that is still running. I have or had two 4 cylinders and have a V6 with a manual. The 5SFE is OK and gets 32 MPG, the V6 runs well with good pickup for what it is and gets around 27 MPG. If you need the extra omph to merge just buy a V6 and be done. The swap will cost you more, not perform like factory and be less reliable because something will always be in conflict. A V6 gets you disk brakes front and rear to boot.

Just my .02 cents.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
No offense but it is a fools errand to do an engine swap on a 20 yr old Camry that is still running. I have or had two 4 cylinders and have a V6 with a manual. The 5SFE is OK and gets 32 MPG, the V6 runs well with good pickup for what it is and gets around 27 MPG. If you need the extra omph to merge just buy a V6 and be done. The swap will cost you more, not perform like factory and be less reliable because something will always be in conflict. A V6 gets you disk brakes front and rear to boot.

Just my .02 cents.
Generally speaking, there is nothing at all wrong with wanting to swap, turbo, supercharge, or NOS any vehicle. The main thing is if any of the OP's who asks about this are able to convince me that they are willing to do this and the sacrifices and anger over it because I can't help but believe that anyone willing to do a swap, turbo, supercharge, or NOS their vehicle already knows what they are doing or at least an idea of what they are doing and honestly don't need the assistance of hundreds of random people on a forum.

Knowledge, skill, time, contacts, resources, hardware, and money. These I believe entails that someone can do something interesting to their vehicle. If they don't have any of these, then they are only gonna struggle during and after what they do. If someone can convince me that they can do it, then go for it but know that anything they do will be self taught.

Guys like Roadkill, Hotrod Garage, Dirt Every Day, they have the skills, the knowledge, the contacts, the hardware, and a good amount of money to do what they want with minimal assistance from others.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No offense but it is a fools errand to do an engine swap
Yea, I was kind of thinking that. I just wanted confirmation.
turbo, supercharge
What's involved in that? If something would get me even 10 more HP, I'd be willing to do it. Swapping the engine seems too involved.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Just sell your 4 cyl and get a v6. Quickest, easiest and cheapest way to upgrade.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I believe the specs are 198 HP for the V6 Vs 135 HP for the I4, "at the brochure"

Besides the engine, the swap would require the engine wiring harness, radiator & hoses, axles, ECU, instrument cluster, the dash wiring harness, and probably a bunch of other bits. It would be best to have a complete donor car so you would have all those "forgotten" bits, and the bigger brakes that come with the V6.

The amount of work entailed would be daunting, to say the least.
I bought a new 1998 Camry V6 and owned it for 11 years. I don't know for sure, but suspect that in addition to the parts mentioned above, it also had some different suspension parts (struts, etc) compared to the 4 cylinder, especially on the front.

·
Almost 1/2 Million Miles!
1,745 Posts
To answer exactly what the Title of this Thread, I have never had any issues with my 1992 Camry XLE (Japan) with the 2.2 Liter (5S-FE) and automatic transmission (A140E) in merging with traffic or speeding up to pass another vehicle.

Even after 532,000+ original miles without any rebuilt history (original fuel injectors) it still have full power and no issues whatsoever in passing or merging into traffic.

Okay! LOL!

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Yes, my 2.2 Camry drives pretty zippy as well. One thing you might try is to completely update your suspension. Struts, sway bar bushing, end links. Maybe even control arms and ball joints. Before I did that at 18 years and 130k miles, my car drove very sluggish. After the change, the car got 30 hp right back. After all, you need the suspension components to help to pass the torque to the ground.

·
Almost 1/2 Million Miles!
1,745 Posts
Yes, my 2.2 Camry drives pretty zippy as well. One thing you might try is to completely update your suspension. Struts, sway bar bushing, end links. Maybe even control arms and ball joints. Before I did that at 18 years and 130k miles, my car drove very sluggish. After the change, the car got 30 hp right back. After all, you need the suspension components to help to pass the torque to the ground.
Ha! Hey qqzj,

You directing your suggestions to anyone in particular? Or are you just posting your experiences?
Well, the only suspension that I changed out was the entire Lateral Links and more!

May 21st, 2014, and with 453,600 miles on the Odometer, I finally broke down and paid $316 US Dollars including shipping for a complete assembly of Rear suspension by ROCA from Tuneshop. (eBay) and better than OEM!

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I honestly think even if someone put a supercharger on it would just compound the issues I already have, as ridiculous as putting a turbo/supercharger on a 99 camry would be to begin with.

Half a year ago I had an issue where I'd get to about 40mph and then I'd get no power and a huge blast of smoke would pour out the exhaust. According to my mechanic, this problem also entails the heat being slow to come on, but I had never noticed. The oil was being pushed out the engine and into something else. I forget what, and that's why I had thought there was an oil leak. While there was some oil leaking, there was a huge coolant leaking.

So, I had the valve cover gasket and the water bypass tube replaced. And the issue with the smoke was fixed. But sometimes I still don't have the power I would think that I would normally have. I don't expect 0 to 60 in 2.2 seconds, but I expect some response in the way of RPMs. In which sometimes it won't deliver. I'll press the gas,(at 30 to 50mph) but no response in terms of RPM or engine noise/movement.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I honestly think even if someone put a supercharger on it would just compound the issues I already have, as ridiculous as putting a turbo/supercharger on a 99 camry would be to begin with.

Half a year ago I had an issue where I'd get to about 40mph and then I'd get no power and a huge blast of smoke would pour out the exhaust. According to my mechanic, this problem also entails the heat being slow to come on, but I had never noticed. The oil was being pushed out the engine and into something else. I forget what, and that's why I had thought there was an oil leak. While there was some oil leaking, there was a huge coolant leaking.

So, I had the valve cover gasket and the water bypass tube replaced. And the issue with the smoke was fixed. But sometimes I still don't have the power I would think that I would normally have. I don't expect 0 to 60 in 2.2 seconds, but I expect some response in the way of RPMs. In which sometimes it won't deliver. I'll press the gas,(at 30 to 50mph) but no response in terms of RPM or engine noise/movement.
To some extend, that is also normal. The car with 2.2 won't accelerate as fast as many other cars. But it is also not a burden to drive if it is in good condition.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
12 Participants
Cosmofennema
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing