Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Almost 1/2 Million Miles!
1,745 Posts
To some extend, that is also normal. The car with 2.2 won't accelerate as fast as many other cars. But it is also not a burden to drive if it is in good condition.
Well, my 1992 Camry XLE (Japan) certainly is no Slouch when it comes to acceleration. Does it zoom forward like a modern 2.0 Liter with Turbo? Of course NOT!

However, at times I am found to be leader of the pack from a standing position from a light and I just allow the Automatic A140E Transmission to do it's thing without stomping on the accelerator.

It is just incredible that after 532,000+ original miles without rebuilt history and original fuel injectors plus original exhaust system this Camry still has pretty much FULL Power!

Guapo:oops:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Trouble merging?? Perhaps it is driving technique. I drove a Citroën 2CV for years, back and forth to Chicago on Illinois expressways, and never had trouble merging. Just so you know, a 2CV is French for two horsepower (taxable). The engine (602cc, two cylinders, air-cooled) made 29 horsepower, though it felt like 30...The factory guaranteed 68 mph top speed, and they were right!! Not a kph more...
I've also owned and driven a FIAT 850 Sport Spyder, '49 Chrysler Windsor (6 cylinder/semi-auto transmission (Fluid Drive), '64 Ford Econoline pickup with 170/4 speed and 4:57 rear gear (50 mph top speed). I'm saying I know slow, and the Camry ain't slow.

Cosmo

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
But sometimes I still don't have the power I would think that I would normally have. I don't expect 0 to 60 in 2.2 seconds, but I expect some response in the way of RPMs. In which sometimes it won't deliver. I'll press the gas,(at 30 to 50mph) but no response in terms of RPM or engine noise/movement.
It sounds to me like you could be having a transmission down shift problem. When needed, if your trans doesn't drop to a lower gear the engine will bog and you won't accelerate as needed. Check it for codes and get back to us.

·
short-throw dipstick
5,862 Posts
Also check kickdown cable adjustment, maybe tighten it up a bit.

It sounds to me like you could be are having a transmission down shift problem. When needed, if your trans doesn't drop to a lower gear the engine will bog and you won't accelerate as needed. Check it for codes and get back to us.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
12 Participants
Cosmofennema
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing