Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a 99 Camry CE, 4 cyl, manual trans.

One thing is annoying me. The car "bounces" very easily on the accelerator. I don't know how to describe it better. It is like when a new driver gets into this mode where he presses the accelerator, then his foot lifts from the accelerator, slowing the car down rather quickly, which presses his foot back on to the accelerator, becoming worse.

The problem is that the car will do this by it self in 1 or 2 gear (i.e. with the foot not even thouching the accelerator). Even with a very light foot it has a tendency of doing this.

I took the car to my local Toyota shop. They said it was the rear shocks (struts) that are weak. In my humble oppinion that would make the back end of the car bouncing up and down, independently of whether the accelerator or cluch are being pressed.
My bounce will disappear by pressing the clutch.
I guess the problem is in the engine mounts.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
5 Posts
my engine mounts are DEAD
and i dont jump at all
i had real bad shocks in the front and back
still didnt jump

·
Registered
Toyota Camry
19 Posts
Cause I ask one of my expert friend that he say camrys are one weal drive and it sucks cause how a lot of power is going to the weal and it cant really handle the power. that why it bounces when you step on the gas. I tryed with my Camry it does bounces to

·
Zzzz
Camry
2,255 Posts
OCAMDDEAD said:
Cause I ask one of my expert friend that he say camrys are one weal drive and it sucks cause how a lot of power is going to the weal and it cant really handle the power. that why it bounces when you step on the gas. I tryed with my Camry it does bounces to
Camry's are front wheel drive, not one wheel drive. I don't know what kind of go-kart you've been driving.

·
Registered
Toyota Camry
19 Posts
go look it up its one weal drive its not two weal. Step on the brake and gas when on drive you can see for your self which weal turn. Its the front left one does all the power turning the other three just there so the car can move. I tryed with my car only the front left turn.

·
Registered
5 Posts
my 1 wheel drive camry rips ass in the snow
this is 1st i heard that my camry is 1 wheel drive..
i could have sworn i burn out with both wheels

question can the stock 98 tranny (auto) handle 260 tq

·
Zzzz
Camry
2,255 Posts
OCAMDDEAD said:
go look it up its one weal drive its not two weal. Step on the brake and gas when on drive you can see for your self which weal turn. Its the front left one does all the power turning the other three just there so the car can move. I tryed with my car only the front left turn.
Umm, I'm just going to stop responding now. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5 Posts
my car is salvage title so i cant say anything
all i know is i did a lot of burouts in my day

·
Registered
Scion TC
202 Posts
OCAMDDEAD said:
this guy makes me laugh.. :lol:

as far as the bouncing goes.. is it more like a stutter than a bounce?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the comments.
I don't know how to describe the phenomenon very well, but I'll try to clarify.

The car does not studder, i.e. looses power when accelerating.

This is what happens (I try to give a s l o w m o t i o n description)

1. Driving along at fairly low speed (10 - 20 mph) in 2 nd gear, with a light foot on the accelerator.
2. Abruptly letting go of the accelerator makes the car deccelerate significantly.
(I my oppinion this should be the end of the story, deccelerating until the car would stop, stalling the engine. However, this is not what happens - read on).
3. The car stops deccelerating for a short while.
4. Then it decellerates again, making the driver feel that he is moved back and forth in the seet (not up and down).
5. At certain speeds this behavior gets wors with each cycle, to the point that you are almost thrown out of you seat, had you not been wearing seat belts.
6. Pressing the accelerator or engaging the clutch breaks the cycle.
7. Keeping you foot on the accelerator makes the problem worse.

Thoughts about possible causes:
1. Perhaps it could be that the accelerator cable is to tight in idle. If it does not close the throttle completely against it idle end stop maybe it could make this happen.?
2. Worn out or defect throttle position sensor?

·
Registered
324 Posts
It sounds like your gas pedal is sticking a bit, I had the same problem with my 98 4cyl 5spd. I used some Lucas Fuel Injector cleaner, cleaned the throttle body, and it's much better now.

Although, I will admit the car is tough to drive 1st thing in the morning, because the 5SFE idles pretty high (2000 RPM) when cold. So, I basically just let out the clutch w/o touching the gas in the first two gears...

HTH -

DJ

·
Registered
15 Posts
OCAMDDEAD said:
almost a silly as the answer my wife gave to me when I asked her which wheels spinned on a front wheeled vehicle, and she replied the rears:lol: How the F do you figure?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts