Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

New to the forum -- I own a 99 Camry XLE V6. Love the car hate the locks.
The car door locks fine from inside the vehicle. If I try to unlock the car using the key -- not the fob -- the door will lock but not unlock. Dealership want 500 to fix and i said no -- must be an easier fix than replacing the driverside cylinder? Any ideas? Has anyone has this type of issue before as I have read door lock issue but not this particular problem. Thanks all!

jaxhead

·
Speedkar99 on YouTube
2003 Camry
1,892 Posts
Does it unlock or lock if you turn the key the other way?

Usually you turn it toward the rear of the vehicle to unlock and towards the front of the vehicle if you lock.

Regardless, I can see why they want a lot of money to replace. Your best bet might be to open the thing up and see whats going on, it might just be a simple cam that broke or misaligned. Here's a break down on how to get to it:

·
Registered
228 Posts
My 96 did this as well. Found the issue not the lock cylinder, but a worn key! The teeth had worn enough over all these years that they wouldn't engage the tumblers completely. Get a new key cut at dealer using vin (copy of old key won't be correct), and lube the cylinder with graphite. This fixed it for me. Good luck!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Hi,

New to the forum -- I own a 99 Camry XLE V6. Love the car hate the locks.
The car door locks fine from inside the vehicle. If I try to unlock the car using the key -- not the fob -- the door will lock but not unlock. Dealership want 500 to fix and i said no -- must be an easier fix than replacing the driverside cylinder? Any ideas? Has anyone has this type of issue before as I have read door lock issue but not this particular problem. Thanks all!

jaxhead
If it's just the one door and it unlocks from the inside without issue, it's a long shot (and mine was a Gen3, not 4 like yours), but maybe you have something in the latch assembly interfering with the unlock path for the key cylinder, like I found: Door Lock Advice

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Yes, it will lock when I turn the key to lock but it won't unlock. Power locks work from inside the car with no problem. Now this has happened on both doors and I am now suspecting that it might in fact be the key itself. I don't use the fob -- it's original to the car and has not worked consistently. I will call the dealership again and see if I can get a new key from the VIN -- which was a great idea pgh mike! I will keep you updated and thanks to everyone who has replied. It's been really confounding trying to sort this. Thanks again!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Camry Door Lock Problems

Yes, it will lock when I turn the key to lock but it won't unlock. Power locks work from inside the car with no problem. Now this has happened on both doors and I am now suspecting that it might in fact be the key itself. I don't use the fob -- it's original to the car and has not worked consistently. I will call the dealership again and see if I can get a new key from the VIN -- which was a great idea pgh mike! I will keep you updated and thanks to everyone who has replied. It's been really confounding trying to sort this. Thanks again!

·
Who you gonna call?
2004 Camry XLE
999 Posts
Might be some wires in the loom going to your door are broken if a new key doesn't fix it.

·
Registered
2016 Rav4
5,757 Posts
my locks have a tendency to quit working with the key because i use the remote all the time. i usually just spray some wallyworld white grease in the hole and on the key and insert it and twist it a bit. usually frees it up. and try to use the key every year or so for the heck of it. it will make them work easier when you need to actually use the key, as in the battery in the remote is dead...
tony

1 - 10 of 10 Posts