Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
99 Camry i4 2.2L 208,000 miles
------------------------------------
Sometimes I pick through junkyards and vaguely I recall there's an older big Lexus featuring big brake calipers that someone in the know can swap over and get great Camry brake performance: Anyone recall WHICH Lexus that is...? If you know are there any pitfalls or ambushes awaiting me..? I want brakes that can REALLY mash on there, in an emergency.

I'm in California and sometimes stop & go traffic has featured some nasty surprises I would have crashed in were it not for my extreme paranoia and Spidey Senses.

Always Lucking Out cannot serve well as long-term coping mechanism, though.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
In this vid, Speedkar own a 1999-2003 Solara featuring ONE caliper piston pushing on a smallish pad. From a 1994-1996 Camry V6 with ABS (or Lexus ES300 or 1995-1997 Toyota Avalon) he extract larger pads and DUAL piston calipers and swaps them over:

Yet that's for his Solara, and I'm a 99 Camry, so uh.....I don't know if his technique will work for my needs. Anyone know..?

·
How hard can it be?
1996 Camry LE
1,782 Posts
The solara was basically a 2 door gen4 Camry. The ES300 is mechanically identical to a Camry. The Avalon was based on a Camry. So, yes the parts will swap over between the Camry, Solara, ES300 and Avalon. Even the calipers from a gen1 (maybe even gen2) LS400 will fit if you use the right combo of caliper brackets and rotors.

·
Registered
99 Camry Le "Goldie"
1,800 Posts
Yes the gen 1 ls400 calipers swap over. I had to get the calipers and caliper brackets. I'm also running gen 2nd? Gen es300 97-01 rotors and pads. I have a 99 camry le i4

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
14,394 Posts
IIRC, you need to have 15" rims, which I believe your '99 4cyl already has. The earlier 4 cyls had 14". V6's always did, Gen 3 & 4 anyway.

The other thing I remember is the LS400 calipers have the bleeders on the wrong side, top/bottom. So you just have to swap them, mounting the left caliper on the right and vice-versa.

Oh, and you may need the caliper brackets, too.

Reactions: 97trophy

·
Registered
99 Camry Le "Goldie"
1,800 Posts
Yep exactly what I had to do with the calipers and yea I had to get the brackets too. Ut everythingbolted on perfectly. I actually have 2012 camry se 17"rims

The 97-99 i4s came with 14" with 15? Or 16 with v6. 00-01 went to 15" for i4
Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.