Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 Toyota Camry was using it prior this morning. I had to go back out and get groceries it just clicked no crank no start It was a little . Naturally tested everything looked at all the fuses replaced the relays replaced the starter replaced the battery still no start got the alternator checked out It came up good What else can I do?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Put the car into the run position but don't crank. Do you hear the hum of the fuel pump behind you? Do you hear the engine turn? Have you checked spark plugs? Coilpacks or distributor? Throwing any codes?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Try tapping the starter.

The click you hear is when the top solenoid kicks out the gear.
The bottom motor should then turn the gear.
So tap on the bottom motor if you only hear click.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Put the car into the run position but don't crank. Do you hear the hum of the fuel pump behind you? Do you hear the engine turn? Have you checked spark plugs? Coilpacks or distributor? Throwing any codes?
I put the car in the wrong position it did not crank I heard the home of the fuel pump the engine does not turn it just clicks and it is not throwing any codes

·
'00 4 Cyl. Auto Camry LE
930 Posts
The starter turns the motor - have you checked to make sure the motor is turning freely?

Level ground, Transmission in (N)eutral, Key off / out of ignition, use a 1/2" ratchet or breaker bar w/ socket, turn crankshaft bolt clockwise: motor should turn, w/ some resistance.

·
Registered
1995 Camry LE Wagon
4,620 Posts
If no crank, just click, also check condition of power wire from battery to starter and it's connectors. If it has green crusties then it's not able to deliver enough amperage or volts. Assuming you cleaned the battery terminals when battery replaced.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Turn lights on try to start. If lights go out then probably a bad connection. If lights don't go out probably a bad ground, or connection in starter circuit.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Will the engine turn over in neutral? Do all the dash lights illuminate as part of the normal start up sequence or is the dash completely dark? Radio work, lights work, horn work? Do you have an aftermarket security system? I would of agreed to strike the starter, but they claim to have replaced the starter. Granted its possible to get a dud new, used or remanned starter. I always make the store test it before I leave to verify its good. Its an hour one way to my parts store. You need to start testing continuity and voltage drop on the starting circuit beginning at the battery.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts