Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 99 Camry and I'm having a problem with the drivers power window. It got real sluggish to the point it wouldn't go up reliably. I bought a used motor on ebay and paid $45to have it installed. The used one started doing the same thing right away. The guy on ebay gave me my money back for the motor but I lost the $45 labor to put it in.

HERE'S THE QUESTION:

Is there another component in the power window system that could cause the drivers window to go down OK, but causes it to stop as far as going back up. Sometimes I have to wait 10 minutes before it wants to go up all the way. It might start going up but then stops. None of the other windows have problems. Is there some kind of relay for the drivers window that could be causing this or did I just have (2) bad motors and a brand new one should do the trick?

Thanks to all those that respond

cato47

·
Toyota Collector
11,969 Posts
I'm about to purchase a 2001 with the same problem, but not as severe. The mechanism makes some bad noises and I doubt it will last much longer.

But I'm willing to bet the window tracks or some other part of the mechanism is worn out and causing the window to bind or be too tight in its tracks which is causing the problem. I'll know for sure when I get my car in 2 days.

·
I work on euros.
96 Toy Camry Sport
210 Posts
either it's binding in the track, binding in the mechanism, or the switch is going bad (not enough voltage to motor)

·
Registered
95 camry, wagon
172 Posts
some times the window will go up and down slower when the car is not on. the window will also bind up after a few years bc of build up in the rails the window slinds in. the problem could also be in the motor unit. my 99 started doing that, at first i didn;t care, if u leave it be the motor unit will fail after a some time. all i did is take a paper towel put some wd40 on it and rub the rubber railing/weather stripping. that helped. if you motor goes all u need is the motor unit off evay or a junk yard. undo the bolts in the door take out the bold in the handle covering pop the handle covering off above and below the door lock. pull back on the door jently once loose pull up in the same up motion in the as window going up. that way you take it off the flang. take off the metal plate. then jently pull back the plastic covering. do not ripp it. if u do it will cause wind to nois. then all u need to do is lower the windo untill u see the 2 10mm bolts that hold on the window. undo those and pull out the window. i think there are 6 10mm bolts holding in the motor unit. unplug the motor unit and as long as the window was lowered the motor unite will slide out easly. then just put in the motor unit the same way i took it out.. this should only take 30 min. before u put in the new motor unit grease up the slids.

·
Registered
95 camry, wagon
172 Posts
some times the window will go up and down slower when the car is not on. the window will also bind up after a few years bc of build up in the rails the window slinds in. the problem could also be in the motor unit. my 99 started doing that, at first i didn;t care, if u leave it be the motor unit will fail after a some time. all i did is take a paper towel put some wd40 on it and rub the rubber railing/weather stripping. that helped. if you motor goes all u need is the motor unit off evay or a junk yard. undo the bolts in the door take out the bold in the handle covering pop the handle covering off above and below the door lock. pull back on the door jently once loose pull up in the same up motion in the as window going up. that way you take it off the flang. take off the metal plate. then jently pull back the plastic covering. do not ripp it. if u do it will cause wind to nois. then all u need to do is lower the windo untill u see the 2 10mm bolts that hold on the window. undo those and pull out the window. i think there are 6 10mm bolts holding in the motor unit. unplug the motor unit and as long as the window was lowered the motor unite will slide out easly. then just put in the motor unit the same way i took it out.. this should only take 30 min. before u put in the new motor unit grease up the slids.

·
Registered
95 camry, wagon
172 Posts

1 - 6 of 6 Posts