Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
99 Camry i4 2.2L 205,000 miles
-------------------------------------
Swapped WP, TB, oil pump gaskets but blew my blue cube alternator breaker, the one at the very front of the black slender plastic circuit box on the driver's edge of the engine bay. I bought a replacement but am going through HELL getting the old one out. Is there some freaking secret to this..? I pulled like hell on the top and finally managed to pull of the blue plastic housing, leaving the two copper teeth still in there, laughing at me. I'm applying great pulling force via pincers, but no dice. I MUST be doing this wrong, somehow.

This cube breaker thing is not like those tiny flat ones, similar to a postage stamp, or whatever. They're like little boxes --this one resembles a RELAY but is topped off with a transparent "roof", if you will. It's inscribed with "100A", meaning 100 amps.

Do I first extract the plastic sub-box that it's in with those two other more little guys..?

This sucks, I can't believe it's this hard. No, I don't have that very specialized thin pliers for this job, but I can't see how that tool might help.

Is there some special technique..? I'm afraid of damaging something if I pull harder; I'm a pretty big guy.

·
Super Moderator
13,526 Posts
Here’s one vid showing how. Ya gotta disassemble the fuse block a bit to get to the 2 screws holding it in.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For me things played out exactly per your video:

Unbolted big breaker box
Gained access to two 10mm bolts on sides of little breaker sub-box
Unbolted those, extracted residual breaker roots
Installed new 100 amp beaker, $4
Bolted all together

Fired right up, all electronic integrity restored, though maybe my TB swap was a bit off, since my Camry is now buzzing, not quite the same engine noise :(. different thread).

Biiig Thanks 2u and Foxherouge...!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts