Toyota Nation Forum banner

99 Corolla can't open door

11330 Views 4 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  pdq
I have a 99 Corolla and I can't open the door. The inside handle is stuck in the open position (pulled out) and if you try to unlock with the key it doesn't do anything. I have tried pulling up on the lock and that also does nothing. Since I can't get the door open I am unable to remove the door panel.

I am stuck here not able to open the door and unable to remove the door panel. Any ideas on how to get the door open so I can remove the door panel to figure out what is causing this issue?

Please help !!!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Gearhead
2,146 Posts
Sounds like the latch is jammed on you - the lock itself is probably unlocked, just everything that is supposed to retract the bolt to allow you to open the door is either loose or otherwise damaged.

The inside door handle stuck open is more troubling, means that the lock is completely jammed up, or the control link fell off / disconnected. Hopefully, on the handle side and not the lock side. If it fell off on the lock side, even pulling on the rod that runs to the door lock mechanism will not help, Slim-Jim tool would also not work in that case (if you try and grab the control link in the middle). Unless you are willing to sacrifice a door panel, your options are limited.

Could try lowering the window, make sure the door lock knob is pulled up (or unlock with the key), remove the inner door handle, grab the control rod with some vise-grips, and tug on the rod as you are wiggling and pulling/pushing on the door. Might free the latch enough to open up. If the If the latch is frozen or completely jammed, you are sunk at that point. Good Luck.

· Big guy in little car
2000 corolla
414 Posts
My wife's Prizm would do something similar. The door would get stuck shut. It would be stuck halfway between unlock and lock. They key would not move in the door and the door handle or the lock tab. I messed and messed with it and then after a day or so it would magically start working. Hasn't done it since.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did pull the inside handle off and the control link is still connected. When I removed the control link it will not move forward or backward so that tells me the lock is jammed. At this point I don't know what else to try other tan cutting apart the door panel to get access to the latch.

· Registered
272 Posts
That a tough situation. Maybe you can call a local locksmith to see if they have suggestions?

EDIT: Also, you may also be able to get some access from above by using a wedge or credit card to pry back the window gasket, and then look inside with a flashlight. That would probably advanced locksmith territory...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.