Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 Corolla that makes strange noises at low speeds. There are 2 different symptoms:

1. When driving with the windows down at low speeds, there is a low rubbing sound from the front right wheel area with each tire revolution. It is kind of low abrasive sound that changes pitch to a click as the car picks up speed. A tire dealer said I had a flat spot on the front tire and moved it to the rear, but the noise is the same. There is no change when I touch the brakes, so I don't think it is brake related.

2. With the windows rolled up (and radio, fan, etc. off) there is a constant, low grinding or rubbing noise as I come to a stop, accelerate, or just coast at slow speeds. It is not noticeable at regular street speeds.

Any suggestions on where to look? CV boots are fine and no leakage. Total mileage for the car is about 25,000.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I must say that I have a very similar sound on my 00 Corolla !! 96k miles. My noise is more of a scuff noise with each revolution.

I installed new pads and rotors and the noise is still present, and like yours braking has no effect.

Jack up the back wheels one at a time and spin them to make sure the noise is not the rear ( I had some noise at rear)

As for the actual cure ???

CW

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have the same sound form my 99. When you brake at slow speed you hear a sound that comes and goes. I had it check a few times and could not figure out what it was. i think that the disc may be warped a little. But i cant feel any vibrations.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Maybe you could get a friend with a lift and get some fool to sit in your car and drive it while its on the lift. Then look for the noise under the car. Some1 I know has a scissor lift installed in his garage floor and it lets the wheels spin freely. Just dont accidentally get your clothing caught on the tire while your looking for the sound :lol:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the same problem...its the front wheel bearing. I had a rubbing sound which got worse when I drove faster.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Got to be the bearing.I have got the same problem with my rear wheel.You won't notice it even if you spin the wheel manually.This problem cut my mileage by 100km per tank.:mad:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's a strange one - the tires were getting fairly worn (5 yrs. old and 30000 miles) so whe I was out of town last week, my wife surprised me by taking it in for new tires. ALL THE FRONT END NOISE IS GONE!!! I can't really believe it was all tire noise, so I keep waiting for the noise to return, but after 3 days of driving - no sign of it?????:confused:

I'll let you know if it returns...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts