Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Automatic transmission.
The car has about 138k miles on it and I had the transmission replaced at 102k miles.

Recently the car has started to slip into neutral when I first start the car and slow down. Also the car seems to have a hard time shifting from 1st to 2nd when accelerating from lights and stop signs. You'll hear the engine revving so fast but it just wont shift to the next gear so I've been just riding it easy and taking 20-30 seconds to get up to 45mph.

Also while im sitting at lights or stop signs, it seems if the car is kind at the slightest upwards angle, the car will constantly rumble every 8-10 seconds as it sounds like its trying to shift itself into another gear.

Tell me this is transmission fluid and runs like $19.99 to get fixed.

Thanks in advance for all advice/help.

·
Gearhead
2,123 Posts
Need more info:

- 3-speed or 4-speed transaxle?
- Did you already check on the fluid, how does it look and smell?
- who swapped the transaxle?
- When did you first start noticing the slipping?
- Slips all the time or only some times?
- Can you manually shift the transaxle with the shifter?
- How about reverse, does it slip?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Need more info:

- 3-speed or 4-speed transaxle?
Not really sure, just know its an automatic 99 toyota corolla VE with 4cyl engine.

- Did you already check on the fluid, how does it look and smell?
Checked all the fluids I can check, but not sure where the transmission fluid is. No burnt smells or anything strange ever though.

- who swapped the transaxle?
Was called Remanufactured Transmissions. They were going to rebuild my old transmission but they showed me a peice from it that had like ripped metal and told me they needed to ordered a whole new one to drop in. It was $1900.

- When did you first start noticing the slipping?
First started happening 3 weeks ago. As I was reversing from my drive way when i hit the tiny speed bump, the car went into neutral and the engine revved. Without doing anything you heard it shift back into R and went on my way. Over time its gotten worse.

- Slips all the time or only some times?
It seems to slip only when I first start the car and its been sitting awhile. It slips at every light / stop sign / everytime I break in the morning on my way to work, but after ive driven around some at work, it doesnt happen as often, but still occasionally sometimes at lights.

- Can you manually shift the transaxle with the shifter?
Don't really know how to do this? You mean move it from D to 2 or L?

- How about reverse, does it slip?
Slips in reverse as well everyday when backing out of my drive way. You will be backing up and youll just feel a shake and then hear the engine rev as if your in neutral and then another shake and youll feel it catch again and continue to reverse as normal.

Hope these help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts