Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here and although I am an tenured technician, somethings still require the basics to repair. Purchased this little girl off of Craigslist for the sum of $500 with a "damaged engine." Since my daily at the time was a C2500 with 4:10's or a sadistic motorcycle ( i still own both) I knew I would save money purchasing this vehicle. Interior is a 9/10, exterior 8/10, unknown drive train.

Not much longer, water pump/timing belt later she runs with a nasty oil leak under the t-cover. Discovered the oil pump o-ring fiasco. Purchased a new, complete assembly and she's running, driving and omg howling !!!

So I start to address the immediate needs for a vehicle that has sat for an unknown length of time. After all is taking care of I have: speedo inop/incorrect. Major hesitation but not consistent. and the a fore mentioned howling.

This is about the hesistation, miss under decel/accel and poor performance. Lucky for me, a local pick a part has a 2000 model and the engine was untouched minus alternator. Grab some sensors, coils, wires, throttle body. I had been reading about this and some people come up with some wild a$$ repairs that cannot actually fix this issue. I tried sensors as some mentioned but no changes we noted.

Hesitation - best I can tell is the IAC gets stuck causing a metered vacuum leak. Poor acceleration, poor idle quality/speed, . The used t.b. was pulled apart, cleaned and the IAC was found stuck. Was able to free up this rotor and after installing I can say the hesitation is gone. Se has never accelerated this good since my ownership.

Miss - the donor vehicle has brand new stuff all over it. Coils and wires included. Snagged those, Installed with new spark plugs and I haven't been able to duplicate the miss. Some of this was seen with the hesitation.

Poor performance - It's just a 4 cyl :) Although she runs well now, in the Florida heat with the A.C. on full blast, I cannot for the life of me, pull out in front of anything.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Scrap Automotive design

Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Wheel Car Tire

·
Administrator
14,749 Posts
Nice! How many miles on it? You might consider doing a timing belt job just based on age. They stretch with miles and age, which causes the valve timing to lag. A new belt will put a little pep back into it. Best to get a kit from Aisin, as they’re the OEM supplier to Toyota.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry for the delay. Miles are unknown as the speedo has been dysfunctional since before I purchased it.
Timing belt, water pump, oil pump were all done because the leaky oil pump caused the belt to bust.

She runs good, just lacking in the torque I'm use to...

Nice! How many miles on it? You might consider doing a timing belt job just based on age. They stretch with miles and age, which causes the valve timing to lag. A new belt will put a little pep back into it. Best to get a kit from Aisin, as they’re the OEM supplier to Toyota.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts