Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
99 Solara
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the automatic climate controls in my 99 Solara. The blower motor comes on only when it wants to, regardless of fan or tempter settings. There is no adjustment, one speed (not high and not low). Mostly there is no fan or air circulation regardless of heat or ac setting. Totally unrelated to driving conditions (bumps, turns, speed or full stop) or weather (hot, cold, freezing, wet or dry), it just starts blowing for a short time and then it stops again. Everything seems to work with the controls other than the fan speed. When the fan is on, I can turn it off & on but still the same speed. But when it decides not to come on, I cannot get it to come on regardless of control settings.
After reading some of the blogs, I replace the blower motor resister. I should have realized that the resister was to reduce the blower speed so that was a wasted effort (difficult, yes). The net is the same, low blower speed regardless of setting and when it feels like it.

·
Registered
1999 Toyota Solara
17 Posts
I stumbled across this post because my '99 SLE V6 just started having ATC problems as well and I'm looking to see if others have had similar problems.

What I can tell you (since I own the Toyota service manuals) is that you should see if you have diagnostic codes coming from your ATC.

To access the diagnostic codes, hold down the auto and recirc/fresh air buttons at the same time while turning the ignition to on.

You'll see that all indicator lights and LCD elements should flash four times followed by any problem codes. In my case I'm seeing codes 21 and 41 which mean temperature sensor and air-flow servo or position sensor.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1999 Toyota Solara
17 Posts
I stumbled across this post because my '99 SLE V6 just started having ATC problems as well and I'm looking to see if others have had similar problems.

What I can tell you (since I own the Toyota service manuals) is that you should see if you have diagnostic codes coming from your ATC.

To access the diagnostic codes, hold down the auto and recirc/fresh air buttons at the same time while turning the ignition to on.

You'll see that all indicator lights and LCD elements should flash four times followed by any problem codes. In my case I'm seeing codes 21 and 41 which mean temperature sensor and air-flow servo or position sensor.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
99 solara

I seem to be having a similar problem. The blower fan comes on but it is barely blowing and when I adjust the fan speed, nothing happens. I also replaced the resistor but it didn't fix the problem. The resistor seem to be getting extremely hot. I checked the codes and I'm getting 21 and 41. What parts do I need to replace? I did a search for airflow servo and position sensor, but nothing came up. I don't have an owners manual or a service manual, so any help would be useful.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Worked for me

I too had this problem. Tried the blower resistor and that didn't work. Finally found somewhere that the "linear controller" might be the problem. I only had a low fan speed. I could hear dampers opening and closing. The automatic climate control display displayed increasing fan speeds but nothing happened. Finally broke down and paid around $170 for a new replacement part. Never got around to looking for a used one. Fairly easy to replace on my 99 SLE V6 Coupe on the firewall under the steering wheel. To my relief it worked. Write me for further details if needed.

·
Registered
1999 Toyota Solara
17 Posts
I too had this problem. Tried the blower resistor and that didn't work. Finally found somewhere that the "linear controller" might be the problem. I only had a low fan speed. I could hear dampers opening and closing. The automatic climate control display displayed increasing fan speeds but nothing happened. Finally broke down and paid around $170 for a new replacement part. Never got around to looking for a used one. Fairly easy to replace on my 99 SLE V6 Coupe on the firewall under the steering wheel. To my relief it worked. Write me for further details if needed.
Thanks for relaying your experience. I'm pretty certain that I have a bad linear controller too, I just want to run the diagnostics listed in the field service manual before I order the part.

G'night!

LH

·
Registered
3 Posts
Linear Controller

I too had tried the diagnostic codes but got nothing that indicated a bad controller. In fact I couldn't even find any codes that would indicate a bad one. I talked with a Toyota parts guy and he let me talk to a repair tech. They too thought it was a bad controller but, of course, would not guarantee it. Giving the car to my daughter forced my hand into doing something about it so I took the chance. I would like to repeat that I knew I was getting a low fan speed and that it seemed like the main controller was operating with dampers opening and closing, fan indicator, etc. Good luck and let me know if you need help locating it.

·
Registered
1999 Toyota Solara
17 Posts
Hi newton23,

Funny thing is that the field service manual shows the part as being behind the climate control panel. I had removed the control panel and both under covers and didn't spot the part.

I guess I'll be looking on the firewall near the steering wheel this weekend.

Thanks again!

LH

·
Registered
3 Posts
Perhaps I am mis-remembering the exact location. I no longer have the car so I can't check. My current thoughts are that it is still on the "center pillar", close to the firewall on the steering wheel side, right above the lower "coverplate". Also as I remember it, the location was not quite as indicated in the service manual I had. Wish I could be more exact - sorry.

·
Registered
1999 Toyota Solara
17 Posts
I finally ordered the blower motor linear controller from toyotapartszone.com. Cost $135 plus shipping.

Not a difficult job. The manual was a little difficult to interpret as to location, but I got to see a clear diagram when I ordered the part.

My Fan finally works as it should!

I can definitely recommend www.toyotapatszone.com as a source for parts. The rep was very helpful, the price was right, and the shipping prompt. I also ordered a set of ignition wires at a reasonable (for OEM) price for under $45.

The end!

LH

·
Registered
21 Posts
1999 Solara SLE Fixed!

My dads car 99 Solara SLE AC only worked on the lowest setting most of the time. There were times when the air would work well but for the most part it would drop to the lowest setting. I knew it had to be the blower control module.

I checked the dealer for the part and was quoted $180. Online it was $130. I got it at my wreck yard (Pick N Pull) for $30. The part is located next to the gas pedal at the top right. Used a stubby screw driver and removed 2 screws to change the part out.

The old part number is Denso 499300-2021 and the new part number is Denso 499300-2090. There was a difference in the look of the heat sink but the part fit well and worked without a problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts