Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am helping a friend to get his car (1999 Solara V6 SLE, automatic) started after being repoed. We have got the car back from the auction, and the key would no longer turn in the ignition. I bypassed the lock cylinder by removing the ignition switch from the back. I am able to get the car to crank, but it will not turn over. We have the original black key with transponder, and Key fob. When I hit the unlock button on the key fob it will unlock all the doors, and flash the lights, but the red security light on the cluster continues to blink even after pressing the unlock button. I actually used a screw driver to break the lock cylinder free, and allow me to turn the steering wheel. Do you think this may have damaged the immobilizer system somehow (from what i read the antenna is actually located somewhere near(or on) the lock cylinder)? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Uhhh....you took a screwdriver to the ignition cylinder...?

Nevermind that. Look under the dash and under the seats for a black box with a big white connector. Unhook the white connector. Problem solved, unless you broke the ignition cylinder.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Uhhh....you took a screwdriver to the ignition cylinder...?

Nevermind that. Look under the dash and under the seats for a black box with a big white connector. Unhook the white connector. Problem solved, unless you broke the ignition cylinder.

I know it is rough. I'm more of a do it right type, but he is broke and can not afford a new lock cylinder at this time. I can still crank the car using the ignition i pulled from the back of the lock cylinder, but the lock cylinder itself is fubared. What is the box that I am looking for? Is it the security system?

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Really? I was always told they're black. Huh. Well, glad you fixed it!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I will be trying this on an 01 solara. Replaced the ecm and don't have the cash to reprogram the computer. I did locate a small silver box under the dash wit one big white connector. Going to try starting the car with the old ecm to see if it will start then hooking up the replacment ecm to see if this does indeed bypass the immobilizer system. I really hope this works.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I will be trying this on an 01 solara. Replaced the ecm and don't have the cash to reprogram the computer. I did locate a small silver box under the dash wit one big white connector. Going to try starting the car with the old ecm to see if it will start then hooking up the replacment ecm to see if this does indeed bypass the immobilizer system. I really hope this works.
No Idea what the function of the silver box was but with the original ECM the car did start with it disconnected. When I switched over to the replacement ECM ... car would turn over but would not start. Security light was flashing...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Security Box

Well it was a silver box mounted to the inside firewall, but it worked like a charm. Thanks again!
I know this thread is almost 8 years ago, I hope someone still reading the furom and can help me to locate the security box. There’s a silver box as mentioned above but the box labeled as Cruise Control. Please anyone can attached a photo where the box located at. I appreciate all input. Thank you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts