Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 Toyota Tacoma with 165,000 miles on it, in the AM when I turn it on it will have a very noticible knock, It sounds as if the lifters, but I don't know enough, in just a few seconds it just goes away......Do i need a valve adjustment? Can anyone direct me in the right direction?

·
Registered
2000 Tacoma 4x4
28 Posts
seavonj,
Your noise could be many things but it sounds like piston slap or a sloppy wrist pin to me. Is it a knocking sound or ticking sound? Ticking would most likely be valvetrain or related components. A knocking sound that goes away quickly could be piston slap or a sloppy wrist pin(s). I would change your oil and try a 5W30 synthetic and see if the noise changes any. What oil are you running now? What engine is in this truck?

Jeff

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Jeff,

It is 2.7 4 cylinder. I am using Castrol 5 30 the recommended. it only happens when the engine is cold in the AM, it sounds like a knock/tick not so muc of a ticking but not a thump either, to me it sounds like lifting rods. Once the oil runs through, it stops, it might only happen for a few seconds, maybe 5 at the most......starts out quite getting louder and quiets down to nothing.
The truck is paid off, I have had it since new, would like to get a good 10 years out of the truck, especially now that I don't have a payment on it. Wondering if this is a sign of something more serious.

James Novaes

·
Registered
2000 Tacoma 4x4
28 Posts
James,

Now that we know it is a 2.7 with 165,000 miles I would think it is valvetrain noise that is probably nothing to worry about. I have a 2000 4x4 with the same engine and it makes a little lifter noise when it is first started....I only have 40,000 miles on mine. The 2.7 is a noisy engine by nature. As the mileage increases the engine noises will increase---that is normal. I would try a synthetic 5W30 oil on your next oil change. This may or may not help but it may clean a sticky lifter that is bleeding down while the truck sits and cools. It is worth a try. Again the noise is probably normal for this engine but if you are uncomfortable with it I would take it to someone who may be able to identify wether it is actually a valvetrain noise. From your description that's what it sounds like to me.

Jeff

·
Registered
2008 Tacoma 4X4 TRD
56 Posts
FWIW My 2000 has done that for about 80,000 miles....134K and still going strong...

·
Banned
2,353 Posts
hey guys im usually in the hi lux forum but i have been browsing this one from time to time. im not an expert on these engines but if its at all like the 22r/re it could be a hydraulic timing chain tensioner taking a few seconds to tighten up the chain. if it has a timing belt then im guessing its piston slap or timing knock. use an oil filter with an anti drainback valve, mobil 1 , pure one micronic or genuine toyota. fram filters suck and castrol oil isnt the best choice in oils. i use mobil 1 synthetic its the best oil ive found and if you dont like full syn they have blends and conventional oils as well. amsoil is a good oil too. dont use lucas oil stabilizer it cause alot of foaming especially if mixed with synthetic oils. oil can make a differance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So you think that by just changing the oil and filter to a full synth this will make the sound go away? I've owned this toyota since new and have never changed the timming belt, I once heard from a mechanic that the toyotas run a chain rather than a belt and that it did not need to be changed.

·
Registered
63 Posts

I've heard the opposite about belts...

I would absolutely change that timing chain...that might be part of the problem. if the belt is stretched and getting sloppy it will cause a knock. Let it go long enough and it will cause a knock right through your engine block...if it breaks you've got troubles. (thrown rod etc.)
i've heard that your supposed to change them around 100k just to play it on the safe side. (i drove a kia before...quite a step up to a taco and it's chain went out at 70k) My dad's 85 yota's chain was giving him problems around 230k and i'm not sure if he had swapped it before or not.
thats my 2 cents worth...it'd be mainainance money well spent IMHO.

·
Registered
2000 Tacoma 4x4
28 Posts
The 2.7L engine has two timing chains. This is one reason that this engine is a little noisy. The chains don't normally need to be changed for at least 100,000-150,000+ miles from what I have seen. Some go 200,000 miles. I will replace my chains and related components before 150,000 miles wether they need it or not. As previously mentioned timing chain failure will cause catastrophic engine failure (valves and pistons collide).

James, I would try regular Havoline 5w30 oil at your next oil change. I just put it in mine and it really made a difference in start up noise...in fact it doesn't make any noise at all with the Havoline.

Also, with 160,000++ miles on your truck you might want to have the timing chains checked and/or replaced if you plan on keeping it for a while. Unless you know a good mechanic I would take it to a good Toyota dealer if you have one in your area. It is worth the extra $$$ to get this job done right. Better yet do it yourself if you can.

Jeff

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How complex is it to do the timining chain yourself? Can it be done in a day in my own garage? Do I need special tools... I've rebuilt Volkswagen engines in the past changed out Clutches in them at 8pm sunday night to be at work at 7am the next day driving the car, so I do have some mechanical aptitude, but don't want to get in over my head with the timing on my Tacoma.

James

·
Registered
2000 Tacoma 4x4
28 Posts
It is a fairly involved undertaking. You need to remove the front differential and the cylinder head. You should be able to do it yourself...with a good service manual. I can't think of any "special" tools that are required.

You might want to take your truck to a good dealer and see what they think your knock may be before getting too involved.

Good Luck
Jeff

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've had two 2.7 liters, a '96 and now an '03. The '03 just turned 36k and is starting to make that knocking noise particularly as the weather turns cold in the mid-Atlantic. I'm glad to hear that it is a somewhat common problem. I think I'll give that Havoline oil a shot, maybe that will quiet her down a little.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just a guess in the dark, but do you use a FRAM oil filter? I used to use on on my 98 and it would do the same thing. The drainback valve sucks on FRAM filters and would let the oil drainback into the pan. Then when i started it the next morning, it would click until the oil got back into the valvetrain.

When I switched back to Toyota filters, it went away. It's just a thought and it maybe completely off but that's what mine was doing.

Good luck!

·
This Space For Rent
14,153 Posts
diverdave said:
Interesting...I do use Fram filters, I always thought they were pretty good. Maybe I need to do some further investigation.
Fram uses cardboard endcaps and a crappy anti-drainback valve. Fram used to be a good company back in the day, but after all those buyouts and restructuring, they've become very crappy oil filter manufacturers.

http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfilterstudy/oilfilterstudy.html

·
Registered
20 Posts
Wow, great sites guys. Everything you ever wanted to know about filters, huh? Looks like I'll be switching over to something like Mobil 1. I still run regular oil and change my oil/fiiter every 3k, but I think I'm going to switch over to synthetic next time so the filter will be much more important given the longer time it will go between changes.

Thanks for the tips.

·
trd04taco
2004 Tacoma 4WD TRD
476 Posts
Definately some interesting info. I've been using Fram filters for years with no problems, but I may try a Purelator Pure One in my next change. Why can't every vehicle do it like my old Jetta VR6 did? It had the filter hanging down right in front of the oil pan in a reusable canister with a drain plug in the bottom of it. No mess, and it was out of the way enough for debris, but still easy to get to. It also eliminated oil drainout issues with some of the other filters by placing it low and vertical.

·
C-5 Mekinik
237 Posts
I saw some discussion about timing chains. As long as you change the oil regularly you should never have to replace a timing chain. Like anything else, they will wear a bit over time, but not to an extent that it would need to be changed at a set interval. You will probably see manufacturers going back to timing chains. Honda did for the Fit. Lower long term maintenance costs and better reliability.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Guys,
Would some of you do me a favor and check out my posts under the Thread of "Strange Sound" and let me know what you think my problem may be? It sounds very similar to what I'm reading here. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Don

1 - 20 of 22 Posts