Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1999 Tacoma has a sticky gas pedal, can anyone give me an ideia as to how to resolve the problem? Can I just replace the cable?

Thanks

·
Registered
245 Posts
me too

Allthought I am having the problem in a 1989 22re 4x4, I jsut got it, and I am very happy with it. It's my first toyota:clap:

·
Official Saipan Member
Hilux
1,019 Posts
before your replace the cable get a can of Throttle body cleaner and clean that TB out. Take the piping off and spray into the TB open and close the butterfly so u can clean everything. First try this before you spend lots of $$$.

·
<^-~*PIMP*~-^>
758 Posts
You may get more help in the TACOMA section of the forum, but anyway here is my $.02.. Go ahead and clean the TB as Rogerman suggested.

Now I have two things I need to know..

A.) Is the actual accelerator sticking when you try to give it gas? (PEDAL STICKING)
OR
B.) After you give it gas does it idle really high and take a while to come down? (CABLE STICKING)

SUGGESTIONS FOR FIXING PROBLEM A:
Get some some some lubricant (WD40, Liquid Wrench, 3 in 1 oil, ETC...) Now with the truck off get down in the floor where your pedal is, follow it up to the top where it pivots, NOW spray the penetrate into the pivot while repetadly pressing the pedal, allowing it to lube it up really good. IF liquid penetrates don't work, apply some grease.

SUGGESTIONS FOR FIXING PROBLEM B:
Get some grease (don't use penetraing oil here), now go to your IM and find where your cable connects, apply grease to the metal wire, NOW press either press the accelerator, or just push it with your hand and allow the lube to go up into the housing. That should free up that area. There's not really a way to lube the rest of the cable..

See if either of those suggestions will help before you get into replacing the cable, They are expensive..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is sticking when I press the pedal, sometimes it works fine and other times it becomes an issue, it has steadily worsened in the past two year, I think the Throttle body Idea might do the trick, I've used lubricants on the pedal and it had ZERO effect.

Thanks for the Suggestions.

JAmes

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rogerman,

I wanted to thank you on your recommendation of the throttle cleaner Idea, I did it this morning and the rsults were amazing, no more sticking issue. I can't believe I lived with this problem for the past few years and all I needed was a little cleaning job. AWESOME !! :)

·
Official Saipan Member
Hilux
1,019 Posts
Hey man no prob at all just helpin out the Truck guys

1 - 7 of 7 Posts