Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I am new to this site and forum.
Few days ago I got my father's truck for landscaping work and I need to give an extra hump (hp & tq.) to tow a 6x12 enclosed trailer & equipment weighing nearly 3000 pounds.
It is a 1999 Toyota Tacoma, 2.7 liter 4 cilynder engine, 2WD and with TRD package.
There are so many aftermarket air intakes and I dont know which one is better or more reliable than others, which one should I get? also, I have plans for an exhaust system upgrade which I dont know the diameter pipe to choose from, should I go for 2.25" or 2.5"? cat back? or full exhaust system? which muffler or aftermarket complete system?
What other performance should I go for a N/A engine.
Are there UPD (under drive pulleys) available for this truck? what web site products should I look for?
All kind of information you guys can provide I will really appriciate it.
Thanks.
-Christian

PS: My other car is a 2k2 Jetta GLI and I do lots of work with composite parts and leather upholstery interiors.

·
This Space For Rent
14,150 Posts
TRD Tacos do have 4cyls. You could try new headers and an exhaust. As for the diameter, you should keep it the stock size otherwise you will get not enough backpressure or too much backpressure depending on the diameter. Look into getting turbo if it's available. Take a look at www.lcengineering.com and they might have the stuff you need. Heard lots of good things from others for LC.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
humanoid said:
TRD Tacos do have 4cyls. You could try new headers and an exhaust. As for the diameter, you should keep it the stock size otherwise you will get not enough backpressure or too much backpressure depending on the diameter. Look into getting turbo if it's available. Take a look at www.lcengineering.com and they might have the stuff you need. Heard lots of good things from others for LC.
Thanks alot for the info, but like I said I want to go N/A (natural aspirated). In the next few months I will defenetely go turbocharged and specially Diesel with either 99-02 power stroke diesel engines f-250/f-350 or the new 92ish + turbodiesel engines found in new Ford trucks.
I'll take a look at the site you mentioned.
Thanks again.
-Christian

·
Registered
5 Posts
about the intake system..i got a k&n fipk 2 intake for my truck and you can feel the difference so its a pretty nice upgrade

·
This Space For Rent
14,150 Posts
Do not get the K&N piece of garbage. All it does is give you a louder sound at WOT and a lighter wallet. Go to http://www.gadgetonline.com/airinduction.htm and read up what Gadget's dyno results are. For the 4cyl you can make a big hole in the front of your airbox. It will give you the same results as the K&N and will cost you $200 less.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts