Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well the time has come to change over the A/C system from r12 to r134. I have a leak and will find it an fix it, Anyone have an idea o what the costs and procedure might be? I imagine at least the oil will need to be changed.
Thanks for any help. I forgot to mention the car is an 86 Camry with 68k.

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
9,093 Posts
If you do a good job with the repairs (find and fix all leaks, replace reciever/dryer) you can also recharge with R12. More expensive for the recharge, but the system will work better.

-Charlie

·
Registered
62 Posts
Go to Walmart and buy the kit....tis about 50 bucks. Freon is about $10 a can, and you'll need 3-5. Get a hose that has a gage on it and go from there. You'll need that hose in the future. It is quite handy.

You'll need to add oil (which comes in the kit) and nothing else. I've done at least 5 cars and never done anything else. On 2 of em I just added the 134 to the system (using an adapter hose)...I added the oil, of course, it is the one thing that I believe is a must.

If you have R12 in it now, I wouldn't even worry about sucking a vacuum on it. Just open it, put the valves in and go.

Can you find Freeze 12? It is compatible in R12 systems.

How long did it take for your system to leak down? A year? If so, is it worth messing with?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone, I;m almost sure I know where the leak is coming from as the hose is full of residue. I will replace it and I'm now bidding on r12 on ebay. Like to keep the old system as it's much colder than the new.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.