Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey there,
2 weeks ago my Camry 2008 failed the oil consumption test, so toyota fixed the engine.
few days after I got my car, I turned on the A/C but I was surprised that the compressor wont work. totally dead.

I took the car to toyota and they check it out, they said they dont know whats wrong with compressor and I need to replace it for 1200$!!!
IT WAS NOT A FREON PROBLEM,
They claim that electricity is being delivered to the compressor but its just not working.

Any thoughts? is it possible that they messed up my compressor while fixing the engine?

Also, I really dont want to fix it for that much, any thoughts where to fix it cheaper?

·
Registered
1986 Toyota Pickup
1,671 Posts
Get a second opinion at an independent AC shop. Sounds like the dealership isn't owning up to their mistake by damaging the AC system while removing the engine from the car.

·
Registered
05 camry 07 tacoma
2,385 Posts
A/c was working at the time they took the car in correct?
Pretty cut/dried, they owe you a fix.

Let us know how the engine rebuild works out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so far they are claiming they dont think its their responsibility to fix it and the work they did on the engine should not affect the compressor.
I asked them to talk to a manager and he said he will talk to Toyota about it and get back to me this week

·
Registered
1986 Toyota Pickup
1,671 Posts
The problem is the work on the engine is somewhat related to the compressor because you would need to relocate or remove the compressor out of the way in order to remove the engine from the car and rebuilt it.

The dealership would be the most expensive option to fix the A/C system. The best idea would be to get a compressor from the junkyard and have an independent shop install the compressor and recharge the system with 134A freon with compressor oil.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The problem is the work on the engine is somewhat related to the compressor because you would need to relocate or remove the compressor out of the way in order to remove the engine from the car and rebuilt it.

The dealership would be the most expensive option to fix the A/C system. The best idea would be to get a compressor from the junkyard and have an independent shop install the compressor and recharge the system with 134A freon with compressor oil.

Would I need to vacuum the system before adding the 134A?

·
Registered
1986 Toyota Pickup
1,671 Posts
Would I need to vacuum the system before adding the 134A?
If you doing the work yourself, yes.

A vacuum would need to be preformed and hold the vacuum for 20 minutes to check for leaks. Then, the freon is sucked in by the vacuum. Special tools are needed to perform this task. The A/C sticker on the core support should say have many ounces of 134A freon it should use.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you doing the work yourself, yes.

A vacuum would need to be preformed and hold the vacuum for 20 minutes to check for leaks. Then, the freon is sucked in by the vacuum. Special tools are needed to perform this task. The A/C sticker on the core support should say have many ounces of 134A freon it should use.
So today the dealer called me saying that toyota is willing to help me and my total cost would be 450$.

·
Registered
1986 Toyota Pickup
1,671 Posts
So today the dealer called me saying that toyota is willing to help me and my total cost would be 450$.
I would go for it. Cost of a new A/C compressor would be well over $500.

New compressor, labor, and fresh 134A freon sounds like a great deal to me.

·
Premium Member
Lexus IS350
2,472 Posts
It's a bit odd it just died after the short block replacement. A/C compressors don't usually die like that, though it's always possible I guess. Did you hear a squeal or anything when you tried to turn it on?

When you do get a new one, take note to run it for at least 10 minutes every month ( even in the winter months) to keep everything lubed up. This is the main reason why you see people with A/C failures when the summer months come along.

·
Registered
2011 Toyota Camry V6
1,296 Posts
It's a bit odd it just died after the short block replacement. A/C compressors don't usually die like that, though it's always possible I guess. Did you hear a squeal or anything when you tried to turn it on?

When you do get a new one, take note to run it for at least 10 minutes every month ( even in the winter months) to keep everything lubed up. This is the main reason why you see people with A/C failures when the summer months come along.
That and the recirculation button should be used every so often.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts