Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
2002 Camry
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to change the oil in the A/C compressor? Maybe a better question, how often does it need to be changed?

Thanks

·
2002 Camry
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Does anyone know how to change the oil in the A/C compressor? Maybe a better question, how often does it need to be changed?

Thanks

Hmmmm. I had a feeling this would stump a lot of people. Anyone with any knowledge about the oil in the a/c compressor?

G

·
R134a contains the necessary lubricant to keep the compressor running smoothly. That is why nobody responded to your thread. I read it 12 hours ago and thought about writing you, but I didn't have the time to explain it.

·
Sedan Life
2003 Lexus ES300
5,115 Posts
it gets changed when you do an a/c recharge with a system such as a robinair machiene...they evacuate the r134a refrigerant and lubricant, and you replace it with fresh refrigerant and fresh lubricant

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
In normal use the refrigerant and oil charge should last the life of the car. If the system develops a leak or if any component of the system needs to be replaced, then the refrigerant and oil charge needs to be evacuated and then replaced.

Mike

·
Maven
3,070 Posts
Though you might need to replace an ounce of oil when a hose is replaced, it is generally unneeded and will last the life of the compressor. New Compressor? Then you add oil. Changing oil in the a/c system is done as often as you change the air in the tires.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Lol at gdanahar - did you mean winter or summer air in the tires - ?
The only thing you need to do to take care of your A/C is to run it at least once a week, every week (no matter the weather). Run it for a minute or two (toyota states 20 seconds is long enough). The reason you must run it is to circulate the refrigerant oil to the bearings and seals inside the compressor. If you dont run the air often enough, these parts dont get oil, dry out, sieze up next time you turn on the air, maybe snap your drive belt, and then cost you lots of money to fix.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts