Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 1988 Camry has a bad pulley on the A/C Compressor- the compressor doesn't work, and I don't want to fix it. It's not the bearings- the pulley itself is chipped and wobbles. It's run that way for years now, but I'd like to fix it.

I believe that belt only runs to the A/C compressor, alternator, and power steering, so if the pulley did break, there's a chance I could drive it home, but I'm worried about the resulting damage if it goes.

Can I pull the pulley and simply put a smaller belt on to bypass the compressor entirely? I can't bypass the compressor with the pulley on, because of the angle. Was A/C an option in 1988, so that there would be an official belt for the Camry without A/C that would fit, or do I just need to find one that will?

How hard is it to remove a pulley? My father and I couldn't do it with regular tools- I assume you have to buy/rent a special part that will do the trick?

Any advice appreciated.

Edit: Found a thread that tells how to pull a pulley, and suggests that the pulley can be removed and bypassed. Does anyone know what belt size goes on a 1988 Camry without an A/C compressor?

·
Pochacco Owns Me
3,122 Posts

·
セクシーの定&#
Camry Touring
891 Posts
Yes, you can bypass the A/C pulley. You just need to buy a new (shorter) Serpentine belt and run it from harmonic balance/crank pulley to alternator. AFAIK, you don't even need to take the A/C compressor or pulley off.; seems like there's enough space. P/S is run off a separate, smaller belt.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My father and I managed to remove the A/C compressor pulley and run a smaller belt just to the alternator. We rented a tool from O'Reilly's, but we couldn't figure out how to use it so we just broke it off with a hammer.

The Compressor had three bolts- we had to remove the upper radiator hose, but that took less than a minute- and the we just tilted it up to work on it. After breaking off the pulley, we just remounted it. There was plenty of clearance for the new belt.

For those interested, a 5pk1015 seems to work fine for the smaller belt. My engine practically whispers now that the darned wobbly pulley is gone.

Thanks again, everybody!

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 1988 Camry has a bad pulley on the A/C Compressor- the compressor doesn't work, and I don't want to fix it. It's not the bearings- the pulley itself is chipped and wobbles. It's run that way for years now, but I'd like to fix it.

I believe that belt only runs to the A/C compressor, alternator, and power steering, so if the pulley did break, there's a chance I could drive it home, but I'm worried about the resulting damage if it goes.

Can I pull the pulley and simply put a smaller belt on to bypass the compressor entirely? I can't bypass the compressor with the pulley on, because of the angle. Was A/C an option in 1988, so that there would be an official belt for the Camry without A/C that would fit, or do I just need to find one that will?

How hard is it to remove a pulley? My father and I couldn't do it with regular tools- I assume you have to buy/rent a special part that will do the trick?

Any advice appreciated.

Edit: Found a thread that tells how to pull a pulley, and suggests that the pulley can be removed and bypassed. Does anyone know what belt size goes on a 1988 Camry without an A/C compressor?
On a Toyota Solara 3.0 I bypassed a seized AC compressor using a NAPA Micro-V #060378 belt. Works well.

·
Registered
2003 Toyota Solara SLE
17 Posts
On a Toyota Solara 3.0 I bypassed a seized AC compressor using a NAPA Micro-V #060378 belt. Works well.
this just made my day I thought about getting a shorter belt and doing it that way but I didn’t think it was possible so I was going to buy a actual bypass pulley they make for that so are you having any issues with a shorter bill or it works fine? And where did you get the belt from? I appreciate it

·
Registered
2003 Toyota Solara SLE
17 Posts
I cannot find the part number that’s all you are saying I found every other part number but I can’t find it anywhere online, where can I get it from??? Please and thank you I need it for my 2003 Toyota Solara SLE

1 - 10 of 10 Posts