Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Camry 2001, 4 cyl. the outsude temp. is -13degree celcius and Iturned on the A/C for preventtative maintenance purpose. Surprisingly, the A/C did not turn on (compressor did not kick in and the both fans were not turning) although the A/C light was on in the temperature control panel.

I am wondering is it normal in a winter weather for the A/C not turning ON?

·
Registered
2015 Subaru WRX STI
4,407 Posts
Do you try to turn the A/C on when you first start up the car, or after its been driven for a while?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
After driving for a while. To check if the compressor turns or or not, I shut off engine once i got back to home. Then tun my engine on again 2 hrs later. The compressor turns on and within 30sec it turn off..

Is it normal in seveire winter temp??

·
Premium Member
6,403 Posts
The A/C system appears to have a coolant temp sensor and another temp sensor. The air temp may be too low and the computer is not allowing the system to work. This happens on other cars I have driven, the A/C system not working in very cold temps.

·
mixed bag 'o vehicles
2,862 Posts
are you on 'defrost'? if so, the AC compressor is already kicked on to take the humidity out of the air so turning on the AC switch wont do anything. using the defrost on the car will lubricate all the parts of the AC system so there is no need to hit the AC switch during the winter.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ghettosled said:
are you on 'defrost'? if so, the AC compressor is already kicked on to take the humidity out of the air so turning on the AC switch wont do anything. using the defrost on the car will lubricate all the parts of the AC system so there is no need to hit the AC switch during the winter.
So inorder to do preventive maintenance for my A/C compressor, I should use the defrost function. However, I noticed that the compressor does not turn on even if i switch the control unit to Defrost.

·
Registered
138 Posts
The AC does have a Cabin Temp Sensor that helps the AC cycle on and off.If the air is cold already that would prevent the AC from kickin in.

First heat up the car with AC off for couple of minutes ,then set it all the way to cold and then switch on defrost and AC and see if the compressor kicks in.Set air to re-circulate.

HTH
keba

·
Registered
75 Posts
toyomoho said:
The A/C system appears to have a coolant temp sensor and another temp sensor. The air temp may be too low and the computer is not allowing the system to work. This happens on other cars I have driven, the A/C system not working in very cold temps.
I agree that the a/c won't come on in really cold temps. Could be an external temp sensor or something like that. Does the same thing in my other non-Toyota cars.

·
Premium Member
'96 Camry XLE
11,246 Posts
As someone else stated, if your defrost is on, your AC is already on.

·
mixed bag 'o vehicles
2,862 Posts
taimurakhter said:
So inorder to do preventive maintenance for my A/C compressor, I should use the defrost function. However, I noticed that the compressor does not turn on even if i switch the control unit to Defrost.
trust me, it kicks on. itll run about as frequently as it would with the AC switch on. so maybe it wasnt on when you happened to look.

taimurakhterkeba said:
The AC does have a Cabin Temp Sensor that helps the AC cycle on and off.If the air is cold already that would prevent the AC from kickin in.

First heat up the car with AC off for couple of minutes ,then set it all the way to cold and then switch on defrost and AC and see if the compressor kicks in.Set air to re-circulate.
where is the cabin air temp sensor located? ive never heard of this before on a camry. maybe its just my car, but if i turn on the AC at any temperature, the compressor does turn on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts