Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
日産自動車パ&#
2004 Nissan Maxima
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My Camry is just having one problem after the next...

This time its the A/C Generator. The Pulley attatched to the belt that goes to the alternator and the engine is wobbling, and making a loud grinding noise. We pulled the belt off completely and theres no noise, so it is definitley an issue with the A/C Generator.

My question is, since the A/C doesnt work anyway (it goes on but no cold air), what is my best option?

Is it possible to swap in a belt from a Camry w/o the A/C system and just pull the A/C generator out

Or should I just replace the Generator from a junkyard and leave it at that.

Heres a video of the sound: (sounds like a wine)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xADlLeZng5k

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,886 Posts
Go to the auto parts store and get the belt for a Camry without A/C. Put it on, bypassing the A/C compressor and that should solve your problem.

You may need to remove the compressor to get the belt to fit, but probably not.

-Charlie

·
日産自動車パ&#
2004 Nissan Maxima
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Go to the auto parts store and get the belt for a Camry without A/C. Put it on, bypassing the A/C compressor and that should solve your problem.

You may need to remove the compressor to get the belt to fit, but probably not.

-Charlie
Good thing they made the car without A/C. Idk why but for some reason i didnt think they did.

And yea theres just enough room there when the belt is fully tightened that the belt wont hit the A/C pully.

If i disconnect the Generator, do i need to cap off the lines? I see that the generator is just 4 bolts, anything else i should know?

·
セクシーの定&#
Camry Touring
891 Posts
+1 on the bypass with a new (shorter) serpentine .

I'd say you'd probably need a re-gas to get cold air again, if you want it.

Couldn't over-tightening the serpentine (and having it like that for some time) cause the A/C to make that high pitch whirring noise at the compressor?

·
日産自動車パ&#
2004 Nissan Maxima
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
+1 on the bypass with a new (shorter) serpentine .

I'd say you'd probably need a re-gas to get cold air again, if you want it.

Couldn't over-tightening the serpentine (and having it like that for some time) cause the A/C to make that high pitch whirring noise at the compressor?
The compressor itself is vibrating, and the pulley sometimes shakes.

I didnt really need the A/C considering it didnt work before. If i really wanted to i would just throw another generator in there if it starts getting hot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts