Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i have a problem with my a/c heating control in my 92 camry.all my controls, such as defrost and heat only work at the highest setting.someone told me it was a resistor or soemthing,not 100% positive.now how do i solve this problem?can i go to the junkyard and take another unit out of a camry and just clip the harnesses back in to install it in my camry?is that where the problem is?or is it under my hood?need some help here guys thanxx ahead of time

·
Dave's
1,946 Posts
Don't have my manual in front of me but it's probably behind the glove box. The resistor pack usually has one or two screws mounting it in the heater box so all you see is the wiring harness which plugs into it. Look on ebay. There's currently one for sale for a '93. The block has resistors embedded which cause the speed to vary. If they all go, it only works in high speed as that bypasses all resistors. Pretty easy really once you find it. Just unplug, unscrew, wiggle out, and reverse with new one.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanx dave can you link me to that ebay auction since imn ot sure what name to type in.thanx and is it possible to get a step by step instuction to upload.thanx again

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
It's called the "Blower motor resistor" or as Dave called it, the "resister pack". However, this is a part I would get at a dealer, rather than a salvage yard. These resistors get brittle over time and just break. The one you might pick up at the salvage yard may not last very long at all. New ones are around $50-$60 at the dealership. I would go that route.

As far as a manual with step by step instructions, you can go to the top of the General Camry Forum and download the whole generation 3 manual stickied at the top of the forum. I really don't think you will need a manual. Just stick your head under the passenger side of the dash by the glove box, as Dave suggested and you will probably see the wiring going in to the heater box. Again as Dave suggested, it's probably 1 connector and 1 or 2 screws holding it in. It should be pretty obvious.

Mike

·
Registered
1997 Camry CE I4
20 Posts
Hello, everyone sorry to dig up this old thread. I also have something similar to OP's issue, where my 97 Camry (I4) doesn't heat up w/ or w/out the AC button on. The thermometer gauge on dash reads no higher than 1/4 above "C".

When I bought this car used (last year), the seller said he had changed the thermostat previously already. I will try to take the thermostat out this week to measure it and "test" it (measure and test found from: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1586050&postcount=2).

So, in my research of the forums, I'm curious if the blower motor resistor suggested for replacement the culprit to not having hot enough air blow out? Or is that resistor what controls the blower motor speed (ie. how high the fans blows air out of vents)?

·
Registered
1995 Camry LE Wagon
5,201 Posts
Blower motor resistor only for fan speed. Engine temp is controlled by thermostat. You'll first have to see if the temp gauge is operating properly then see if thermostat is working OK. If both those are good then it'll be a problem with your heater core or the valve/control that adjusts water flow to it or in the mixing doors that control air flow.

·
Registered
1997 Camry CE I4
20 Posts
If both those are good then it'll be a problem with your heater core or the valve/control that adjusts water flow to it or in the mixing doors that control air flow.
if its the core/valve/mixing doors, maintenance on these things would require a removal of the dash, right?

And is there a How-To some where in the forums? I will search for it if there is, but I wanted to get a "better" key search for instead of finding results not related to dash removal. thanks :)

·
Registered
1995 Camry LE Wagon
5,201 Posts
The water valve that controls engine coolant to the heater core should be on the firewall. There will be two hoses to it as well as a cable, solenoid or vacuum hose which is the on/off control. You can watch it open/close as you turn the heat on and off. They can leak internally but that would reduce your A/C not your heat. The heater core is in the cabin behind the dash. I doubt it's the core but if that is scaled up you can flush the cooling system. Make sure you're getting proper engine heat first and work from there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts