Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!

I have a 1993 Camry LE 2.2L

Today my middle A/C vents blow barely to no air when the setting is on face mode. All other modes work except the face one. The driver and passenger vents work but blows weak.

What I noticed is that most of the air comes out from the defroster vents and some on the vents on the outside of the car by the windshield on all modes.

I tried checking continuity with the switch all of them seems to check out. I also tried checking the ASV near the throttle body. There is continuity between the two points and the resistance at 68 degrees F is 7.83 ohms. Some guys said that the issue could be the vacuum from the ASV but I checked the hoses and there were no cracks or holes. I looked at the servo motor and it seems fine, I think. There arms were moving and all of them slide without any resistance. I couldnt find a blown up picture of the servo motor so im just assuming that the motor is fine.

On the video below, I showed that I changed the modes. When I switched it to the face mode, there is a delayed "thump" which I have no clue where its coming from.

Please help. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
That sounds like a classic vacuum leak to me. You can buy vacuum line and cut it to length cheap. I did all my underhood ones on my pickup for under $20 and it fixed the same issue and the cruise no longer gets wonky. Check for cracks under/at the clamps as well.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That sounds like a classic vacuum leak to me. You can buy vacuum line and cut it to length cheap. I did all my underhood ones on my pickup for under $20 and it fixed the same issue and the cruise no longer gets wonky. Check for cracks under/at the clamps as well.
Any idea which hoses I need to replace?
I would change them all if I knew which ones to change. Do you know where I could find some diagrams?
I have 93 camry LE 2.2 5SFE

·
Almost 1/2 Million Miles!
92 Toyota Camry XLE
1,798 Posts
Any idea which hoses I need to replace?
I would change them all if I knew which ones to change. Do you know where I could find some diagrams?
I have 93 camry LE 2.2 5SFE
Excuse but, you have a USA version GEN-3.

Mine is a 1992 Camry XLE with the 5S-FE Engine as well but, made in Japan (JT Vin Number) and that I can recall, I just replaced the entire switch module when this sort of thing happened. Salvage yard is where I got replacement, however, it is harder to get the Japan version today so, if it fails, I would need to look high and low for one today!

Here is my Japanese Version!

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
I know in my pickup you can take the controls out and they have small lines back there as well. If you suspect the issue is there just pull it out, gently take the lines off and take them with you to a good parts house to size up diameter and length. That's how I did the under hood lines. Take the old off one at a time measure new and cut replace then move to the next one.

·
Administrator
14,390 Posts
Does an LE which has the selector dials use vacuum to actuate the flapper doors? I thought it used an electrical servo motor? The XLE has the "soft touch" buttons, which I believe uses vacuum.

Edit: I've had the climate control module out of my LE numerous times. There were no vacuum lines connected to it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Excuse but, you have a USA version GEN-3.

Mine is a 1992 Camry XLE with the 5S-FE Engine as well but, made in Japan (JT Vin Number) and that I can recall, I just replaced the entire switch module when this sort of thing happened. Salvage yard is where I got replacement, however, it is harder to get the Japan version today so, if it fails, I would need to look high and low for one today!

Here is my Japanese Version!
Im pretty sure mine is made in japan cos it has a JT starting vin number as well.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know in my pickup you can take the controls out and they have small lines back there as well. If you suspect the issue is there just pull it out, gently take the lines off and take them with you to a good parts house to size up diameter and length. That's how I did the under hood lines. Take the old off one at a time measure new and cut replace then move to the next one.
Alright, thanks!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does an LE which has the selector dials use vacuum to actuate the flapper doors? I thought it used an electrical servo motor? The XLE has the "soft touch" buttons, which I believe uses vacuum.

Edit: I've had the climate control module out of my LE numerous times. There were no vacuum lines connected to it.
With my version (JT version), it uses an electrical servo motor to switch the vents located by the gas pedal also near under the radio.

·
Almost 1/2 Million Miles!
92 Toyota Camry XLE
1,798 Posts
Does an LE which has the selector dials use vacuum to actuate the flapper doors? I thought it used an electrical servo motor?

The XLE has the "soft touch" buttons, which I believe uses vacuum.

Hello BMR:grin:

I recall that I replaced soft touch selector and don't recall having any vacuum lines0:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.