Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
4,212 Posts
If it's still make cold air then it may be the a/c pulley on the compressor or a belt tensioner pulley that rattles under the added load. ( if that a/c belt uses one).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that sounds right to me since it started about 1100 miles ago in Kentucky. I live in New Orleans. It cools just great. Best car I've ever had since I was 16 and I'm 74 now. Its a 2007 Sienna CE. 136,000k miles. No major break downs or repairs to speak of. Same a/c, same trans, same everything. No rust or corrosion. Great little van.
Is this pulley very expensive to repair since its kinda hard to get to?

·
Registered
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
4,212 Posts
My mechanic, an independent not dealer, off the top of his head said $450 with parts and labor unless I was having a timing belt put on or something else, the price would be adjusted because he'd already be in the area or would've pulled it off to get to what he was fixing anyway. No doubt it's worth fixing :)
I think! This is an example of what you may need. Re: only:

·
Registered
74 Posts
mine is doing the same noise,
its is coming from the AC Compressor Clutch plate,

i changed it on my Jeep Liberty,,
it certainly can be done on a Toy???

i have not found any video of someone doing it
gervais

·
イリジウム
12,276 Posts
Also make sure it's not low on charge. Lubrication is carried by the refrigerant.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Also make sure it's not low on charge. Lubrication is carried by the refrigerant.
huumm
the sound john that i can hear here,it is like a dry bearing,,,
after a while it stopped.

i will check if there is a kit on the web to rebuilt mine.the AC is working,,cold air is coming out but what a place in front of the engine.

have a great week

Gervais

·
イリジウム
12,276 Posts
The bearing is not turning when the AC is on. It's stationary.

The bearing turns when the AC is off and the clutch disengages. A bad bearing is usually noisy when the AC is off.

However, with low AC charge you may still get some cold air, but the amount of lubrication is insufficient. Only way to tell is with a manifold gauge set or a readout from a scan tool of the high pressure sensor for the high side and indirectly with evap temperature on the low side.

·
Registered
74 Posts
John
when i start the engine the morning,AC is not engage and we can listen at a LOT of noise,,,
like a bad belt or when an alternator bearing is jamming and the belt is having hard time,,,
when the AC Clutch engage the noise gets lower and lower and disapear,i will check here at a garage if he can take the "pressure" in my circuit if i have enough coolant in the AC circuit,,its not freon anymore

to bad i cannot send a video and he noise here

Gervais

·
イリジウム
12,276 Posts
If the AC is not ON, as in OP's case, then yes, it's possible that some bearing (may not be the clutch) that's making the noise. For example, the water pump mentioned, or some other bearing.

·
Registered
74 Posts
yes
it would have been possible but i changed my cam belt,water pump,idle bearing,,,
thanks john for those advise,they are super welcome
Gef

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A/C makes rattling noice when compressor is on
I have talked to several mechanics on the phone here locally and they all want to change out the whole ac system. Sounds like a bit much but then they aren't looking at the car just assuming I'm saying its the ac clutch or compressor. Also they say the clutch isn't separate anymore so you have to change out everything. So I'm taking it into one of the shops to have it checked out before I do anything else. Does anyone know if thats correct - clutch and compressor are not separate they have to be changed out as one item and consequently everything has to be changed.

·
Registered
359 Posts
That belt has so many moving parts. I was there, and it was alternator. with long screw driver check all moving parts for rattling.
how is coolant in reservoir bottle?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good question. Is that part of the 2007 Toyota Sienna ac system? If so can it be seen from the top or do you have to get under the van to see it?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts