Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi y'all, newbie here. I got a 2000 Corolla and got a question about the a/c.

Sometimes when I start the car, I notice the a/c isn't that cold (feels like regular vent air). The power button light is on, when I adjust the fan speed nothing happens. When I park and come back to the car, when I start it, the a/c is nice and cold. Since than, I've placed a thermostat in the vents. When the a/c works, it shows around 45-50 degrees. Without the a/c, 80+ ( I live in Hawaii).

Another issue I noticed while driving, sometimes the a/c temperature will fluctuate. While at a steady speed, it will go down to around 45-50 degrees. While in traffic, sometimes it will get up to 60+ and when I drive at a steady speed, drops back down.

Do you think it could be the expansion valve?

·
Registered
99 corolla ce
208 Posts
Could be that the A/C turns off when the engine idle is too low. (happens to me sometimes when engine is hot and I stand on a light or in traffic) When the temperature gets warm, do you notice the A/C button light blinking? In that case just turn it off and back on again...that should fix it. I guess the A/C needs a certain rpm in order to run.

·
Registered
7 Posts
check the fans. while driving your forcing air over the condenser so the fan is pointless but when at a stop or driving slow your not pushing air over the condenser to remove heat from the Freon so its not working so yea check the fans

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for your help but still no luck.
@lacienega Yesterday afternoon and today, I noticed the car not as cool and observed the ac temperature raise. The power button was still on, not blinking. I still gave it a try, turned the ac off and back on, no change.
@01chevypriz Yesterday afternoon while driving to work, noticed the car not as cool and observed the ac temperature raise (from 40s raise up to 80s). When I got to work, I checked the fans. Both were working and spinning strong.

2funman1 I'll give it a try. I've had the car for about 2 1/2 years, car now has a little over 81,000 miles. Being 19 years old, I don't know if the a/c was ever serviced.

·
Registered
2013 SE corolla
150 Posts
What are the A/C pressure reading . Low side and High side .? With A/C on
And A/C off after a few minutes of turning A/C off. (Equalization time)

·
Registered
1995 T100 2WD
1,919 Posts
Thanks everyone for your help but still no luck.

@lacienega Yesterday afternoon and today, I noticed the car not as cool and observed the ac temperature raise. The power button was still on, not blinking. I still gave it a try, turned the ac off and back on, no change.

@01chevypriz Yesterday afternoon while driving to work, noticed the car not as cool and observed the ac temperature raise (from 40s raise up to 80s). When I got to work, I checked the fans. Both were working and spinning strong.

2funman1 I'll give it a try. I've had the car for about 2 1/2 years, car now has a little over 81,000 miles. Being 19 years old, I don't know if the a/c was ever serviced.

Interesting write up about blinking A/C button.
https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/a-c-light-blinking-troubleshooting-guide.440200/

1 - 10 of 10 Posts