Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recently purchased a 91 n/a mr2. a/c system requires some repair. I have located a leak at the compressor head (new hose assembly needed.) the question is, (when I go to recharge the system) which is the high side and which is the low side. someone at some point screwed up the fittings, so......not easy to tell. dont have manual as yet. pics would help. anyone?

·
Registered
107 Posts
i just took mine off, i dont ever use it anyway lol and it was also making a horrible screaching noise becasue the pulley was busted on it and it was forcing it over. Anyway t tops are a great alternative, until it rains

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks but whats the answer, dont want to scrap it yet, just want to repalce a line or two and put a charge into , on my Z the high side is on the line with the site glass, but on this thing, (looking at a sketch) it appears to be the opposite......

·
PowerHouse Turbo
94 Supra Turbo
67 Posts
On the top of the compressor, the service valve is usually marked
"S" for the suction side (low side) and "D" for the discharge side
( discharge is the high pressure side)

Jeff

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks jeff, on the mr2 I dont see the marks (on my jetta) they are seen, plus, everything is visable from the engine comp so tracing the actual disch/suction line to the service valves is easy. on this car the lines for charging are in the front "trunk" area.. everythng under the car (where the hoses run) are sealed with body panels (removable with some work) suppose I could spend an hour tracing the line, but looking for a simple solution..

Sandy

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will check this out, thanks, additionally does the high side always have the site glass on it?

·
Registered
123 Posts
sandy said:
I will check this out, thanks, additionally does the high side always have the site glass on it?
Yes.

Because it's the only place to have liquid in the system (after the condenser and before the evaporator).

Don't worry about R-12, and DON'T convert to R-134a. Go to the link below and buy ES-12a "Industrial" hydrocarbon refrigerant. It works better than R-12, it's environmentally friendly, and it won't leak out like R-134a because the molecules are larger than even R-12 molecules.

www.es-refrigerants.com

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks mitch, thats what I thought but needed some confirmation. have used the es12 in my jetta (car loves it) and in my zx, which, runs some damn hot anyway that Im having some trouble with the amt to be added. now trying to fix a broken high side solid alum. line it it..

·
Registered
123 Posts
Put your gauges on and watch the high side. Spray some water thru the condenser with a garden hose. Don't overdo it because you'll get a supercooled situation. You are after a "normal" cooling effect, but that's hard to get sitting still for so long.

Also, remember that the ES-12a is only a 40% charge of the R-12 quantity. Don't overcharge or your low side will never come down.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts