Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The two highlanders we are considering are both similar in condition and price. Both have technology package with lane departure warning, radar assisted cruise, etc. Both are identical color (interior and exterior)

1. 2015 Limited Platinum with 50k miles

2. 2017 LE with 25k miles

We are not specifically seeking the added features of the Platinum such as leather seats, dvd screens on back of front seats, or panoramic moonroof. Each vehicle has the technology package we are seeking. My primary question is which will have greater resale value 3-5 years from now. Will the trim level or the mileage make make demand for either of these stronger?

Thanks in Advance

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just (2 months ago) got a ‘15 platinum AWD in pristine condition with 45 k miles. I paid $28k witch included undercoating and rustproofing (I live in the rust belt). I personally went with the pre-refresh drivetrain because I was nervous about the longevity of the new 8 speed transmission. The 6 speed used in ‘14-‘16 highlanders has been used enough to have real world results supporting its reliability. I also like the bells and whistles of the platinum package. In the end this is my opinion only. There is no evidence to support the ‘17 and up models being less reliable.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Well ...The 17 is a refresh year just as the 2020 is.. The 17 has some warranty left ...Engine in 17 is Direct Injection..The Limited Platinum has every bell and whistle while the LE is the basic car...Hard to choose, thats up to you of course..

·
Registered
52 Posts
How much do you care about the extra features on the Plat? (Of which there are many -- you're looking at the absolute top and absolute bottom trims).

If you don't care, get the LE.

If you do care, then look very carefully at the condition of the Plat (I'd recommend a professional inspection). If it's in good shape, get it. If not, hold out for another Plat or Limited in better shape.

I made pretty much this exact choice when I got my car -- at around the same price, I decided to get a pre-refresh Plat Hybrid rather than a post-refresh LE Plus Hybrid.

·
7,783 Posts
Tough choice. I am not a fan of unnecessary speeds just for fuel milage numbers. I like the 6speed. I am not a fan of bells and whistles that have more potential to fail(More electronics, more things that can go wrong). Nor do I like them, as it can create bad habits(Lane departure). Would never get it for my children. Maybe grandpa, Yes!.
I am a fan of less milage. In this case neither work for me, but you get my reasoning for it. Which might be helpful..might not.
Good luck!

·
Registered
484 Posts
Can your insurance rate help you to decide?

What is your other car like, I mean, if it's OEM feature rich like the Platinum or like the LE? Try to make them comparable to suite your preference...

With the 2015 model year, I would check if there is any maintenance record to show it has been well maintained... Personally, I would also check to see if the 2017 LE was a lease vehicle, if you would mind that at all...

As for resale value, you may want to run the numbers on Bluebook and/or Edmunds to see what they are today...

Congrats! Either one, for joining (or staying with) the Toyota family!!

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
For any used vehicle - maintenance is key. Check maintenance records...and have it inspected by a trusted mechanic.

·
Registered
456 Posts
If you're specifically looking at resale value, I don't think that there would be too big of a difference. Probably the 2017 LE would be worth a little more at 6 years old than a 2015 Platinum at 8 years old, since there's more "life" left on it, but I don't think the prices will be that far off. Me, personally, I don't care much about the bells and whistles, so my pick would be the 2017 LE. Top trim Highlanders seem to hold their value very well.

These cars are fairly reliable and hopefully no major repairs prop up in the next 3-5 years (your expected time of ownership), but I'd go for the 2017 if you don't really want/need the features of the Platinum.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well ...The 17 is a refresh year just as the 2020 is.. The 17 has some warranty left ...Engine in 17 is Direct Injection..The Limited Platinum has every bell and whistle while the LE is the basic car...Hard to choose, thats up to you of course..
2017 was a refresh of current generation. 2020 is a new generation and to a certain extent a totally new vehicle inside and out. Gaving said that with the choices presented i would go with the 2017 and the warranty unless there is a significant difference in price. You can always give the Toyo dealer a call. They can advise what the resale value is forecast to be on both vehicles.

·
Beach dude
301 Posts
The 15' Platinum would be my choice. I think it will hold its value better than the LE too. That 6 speed trans is a good one and the DI isn't giving the motor any more power. Enjoy!

·
Registered
19 Posts
The only advancement with the 2017 HL is the new GDI system; need to take new steps to keep the intake valve clean once in a while... shouldn't be a show stopper though.
I’m pretty sure that the reason the updated engine has port and direct injection is to address the intake valve buildup issue that all direct injection motors have.

·
Registered
413 Posts
The only reason I chose to go with the LE Plus was it was one of 2 models that DON'T have sunroofs. My wife has an RX 350 and we realized that we never use it, so I decided I didn't need something I wouldn't use, and only have an extra expense it something were to go wrong with it. We are in Texas, so there are only a couple of months a year that it would be nice to open. Winters too cold, Summers too hot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The two highlanders we are considering are both similar in condition and price. Both have technology package with lane departure warning, radar assisted cruise, etc. Both are identical color (interior and exterior)

1. 2015 Limited Platinum with 50k miles

2. 2017 LE with 25k miles

We are not specifically seeking the added features of the Platinum such as leather seats, dvd screens on back of front seats, or panoramic moonroof. Each vehicle has the technology package we are seeking. My primary question is which will have greater resale value 3-5 years from now. Will the trim level or the mileage make make demand for either of these stronger?

Thanks in Advance

I had a 15 Platinum and now have a 19 Platinum. I absolutely hate the 8 speed transmission. The 6 speed was much more responsive. Mileage is no better. I'd recommend the 15.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts