More updates...
- Twin turbo setup fully running, dyno and pics can be found here:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=283340

What's left on the list...
- Slam car to the ground
- Bolt passenger seat back in
- Drive about 500-800kms to break-in the motor
- Oil change to synthetic
- Slam the wastegate shut and see what it can do at 26+ PSI :D (joking about the wastegate thing)

UPDATE #3 -- 01-4-2009:

More updates...
- Front and rear downpipes are finished, and all is left would be the exhaust system
- Manifolds are bolted down for good
- Added custom turbo bracing
- 90% of wiring completed

What's left on the list...
- Exhaust system
- Wiring up new gauges
- Charge piping (half completed already)
- Oil and water lines for turbo
- Bolt up remaining parts (intake manifold, injectors, etc..)
- Fluids and start-up
Here are some of the recent pics:
Downpipes (2.25" at the flange, 2.5" from the engine block downstream)

Modified water neck, custom turbo bracing (with heim connections to allow expansion):

Overall shot:

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

UPDATE #2 -- 01-2-2009:
New pics of my custom front and rear manifolds :)

Quick shot of one of the flange welds:

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
UPDATE #1 -- 12-27-2008:
More pics now :D

--- Original Post - 12-26-2008 ---

I only have one photo to share at the moment :D Can anyone guess what's new under the hood?

By the way, I just noticed my signature already gave the answer away...lol

·
That Acura Guy
2,383 Posts
Yum twins!
Hey Tony have you ever considered going with a 3MZ block to gain some displacement? Or that may be another surprise?

·
Vivir el momento
18,784 Posts
how cute.... twins :D :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

With that kind of power, I don't think Tony needs any more displacement. :lol:

·
Nostalgia Member
6,609 Posts
i dont see the twins in the picture ... maybe im not looking hard enough

glad to hear youre making progress, im anxious to see the results

·
455 Posts
Tony I think the entire TN family has been waiting for your update ever since your first talks of twin GT28R. Camry is looking great as ever, keep us updated and continue making history!

·
My other car is a Camry
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i dont see the twins in the picture ... maybe im not looking hard enough

glad to hear youre making progress, im anxious to see the results
I was trying to wait for doubters, but they are hard to come by under my threads...LOL :lol: I've added more pictures :D

·
Simpsons fan since 89'
1,618 Posts
I just wet myself... twice...

Very nice tony!

·
deviate from the absolute
4,910 Posts
800whp Camry....is that the idea Tony.....though I think I am modest in my 800 statement

pure sex I spy there

·
Nostalgia Member
6,609 Posts
^ i think the goal is a torque-based goal .... roast tires from a 60-roll .... probably not gonna hit 800whp from twin GT28s unless theres a miracle though

·
My other car is a Camry
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
More updates coming soon :) I am finishing off the wiring currently and pretty soon I will be completing all the pipework for those turbos... Hoping to finish everything by this weekend!

The manifolds are indeed a lot of work, but I managed to save quite a bit of time by modifying the OBX units. I purchased these a while ago and mainly sourced them for the head flange and bends. The front manifold was modified to become a sidewinder, but the primaries were kept intact. The rear header however, it was totally reconstructed. Both front and rear manifolds now has a true 3-in-1 merge collector as well. I will take pics of the manifold once they go through the finishing touches (coating them, etc..).

Each GT28R (GT2860R to be exact) is good for about 320-350 WHP, so both of these turbos are good for 700 WHP. It is actually about the same as the single GT40R that I had before, but this time, I want to feel the difference between a twin vs single setup with turbos that are similarly sized. To me, it's also a chance for me to experience the difference because I personally never went from a single to a twin turbo car with both setups being rated for identical HP levels. The engine is the same as before, just freshened up with new rings/bearings :)

The way I designed this setup also allows room for future upgrades... Depending on how I like the twin turbo setup, I can upgrade to twin GT2871R turbos if I decide to, and this would allow me to run up to 850 WHP or so. They will be a drop-in upgrade for more future growth. The way the manifolds are designed also allows me to rebuild a small extension section (manifolds will be V-banded) and convert my setup back to a full single setup as well. This will allow me to drop in my old Supra's T51R KAI turbo which is also good for 850 WHP or so. Lots of flexibility in this setup...hah

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
About this Discussion
62 Replies
34 Participants
Eye8Pussies
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing