Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
=]
nasa space shuttle
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a couple questions ...i love detailing my car and well im going to invest into a cheap waxer/polisher..

Simoniz 7-in. Sander & Waxer
$99.99
Product #39-9013-6
  • Powerful 7-inch, 2-speed sander/polisher head designed for experienced users
  • Makes quick work of sanding wood, metal, fibreglass, body filler and rust removal
  • Powerful enough to use for compounding surfaces
  • Converts to a polisher for polishing cars, boats, planes and vans
  • With 2-position locking switch and 2-position auxiliary handle
  • Built-in tool rest for convenient attachment of bonnets and sanding discs
  • 2/3-hp motor delivers 1,100 to 1,350 rpm
  • Weighs only 5.2 pounds for easy handling
  • 7" backing pad, polishing bonnet, 2 sanding discs and spindle lock
is this good for polishing or waxing? whats the difference between this is the "Random orbiter"

another question where do you guys purchase your clay bars? i have bought the kit previously which was 25$ and now my clay bar is all contaminated and i dont feel like spending another 25$ just for the bar because i still have the products left over.

3rd question..drying a car...alot of people using a chamois and some use microfibre clothes ? which is better? is it easier with a MF cloth because drying a car is what i hate the most..

4th.. Polishing... what exactly does it do? does it get rid of swirls..etc..any good products that can be found on the shelfs of a local auto store u guys reccomend? how easy is the process? honestly im afraid to "polish" the car because im afraid of screwing up and screwing up the paint...so i never polished the car before only just layers and layers of wax..

last question REMOVING wax...what do you guys use..i read just a terry clothe is fine but i seen threads with people using MF clothes?

hopefully someone can help me out ;) thanx in advance

·
Registered
04 CAMRY LE
1,123 Posts
JUst spend a bit more and get the pc..IMO i think that would be better, especially if you do not know how to work with a rotary

·
'94 Camry V6/'02 Sequoia
'94 Camry/'02 Sequoi
276 Posts
You want a random-orbital polisher (like a Porter-Cable) -- partly because you can use a backing plate with foam pads instead of bonnets that'll bunch-up. Plus it's a higher-speed polisher.

Check your local Lowes stores... some have the PC 7336SP on closeout.

Microfiber drying towels do not scratch or strip wax like a chamois. Use microfiber polishing cloths for removal of product.

You can use products like PowerPolish and PowerWax with a good machine like a Porter-Cable. Use a cutting pad with the polish if you have a lot of defects.

As for clay, Wal Mart has a pretty good price on Mothers, I hear... like under 12 bucks.

·
Ron Jeremy's twin brother
06 Tacoma-SOLD
1,461 Posts
+1 on the PC polisher. You may have to spend $10-20 more, but it's worth it. Random orbitals not only turn in a circular fashion, but they also oscillate back and forth, reducing the likelihood of leaving swirl marks or damaging the surface of the paint. In other words, they are more forgiving, and at the same time do a better job.

With the PC, you wont run into any compatibility issues with different backing plates, and thus you'll have access to all the different foam pads, different sizes, etc.

To your question about polishes, in a nutshell they have varying degrees of abrasives in them. These abrasives remove imperfections in the top-most layer of your clearcoat, eliminating things like swirl marks, minor scratches, etc. It's effectively like sanding a surface smooth, but much less harsh than sandpaper. As you work the polish with your buffer, the abrasives break down on the surface, and over the course of a couple minutes (depending on speed and surface area), they reduce themselves to a fine powder that can just be wiped away.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Another vote for the PC here! It's much safer than a rotary and it's powerful enough to do some serious defect correction. :) I got mine at Lowes for $119.00, but I hear that they are on sale right now for alot less. You can always go to an online vendor like autogeek for the pads and polishes.

·
=]
nasa space shuttle
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^ ill look into it ..i doubt i can find it locally but what do you mean by the "defect correction"

and screeber thats exactly why i never polished before im afriad about it eating away at the clear coat :S the previous summer i looked into polsihes but reading the labes kind of scared me off but this summer i am for sure going to use it...the polish removes the swirls etc thats why i am getting it but does the polish like "polish" the car(make it shinier)

·
Registered
9 Posts
CamrySExxx said:
^ ill look into it ..i doubt i can find it locally but what do you mean by the "defect correction"

and screeber thats exactly why i never polished before im afriad about it eating away at the clear coat :S the previous summer i looked into polsihes but reading the labes kind of scared me off but this summer i am for sure going to use it...the polish removes the swirls etc thats why i am getting it but does the polish like "polish" the car(make it shinier)
I mean that it can remove swirls and oxidation and scratches if they are not too deep.

·
Ron Jeremy's twin brother
06 Tacoma-SOLD
1,461 Posts
CamrySExxx said:

Yes - abrasive polishes are removing small amounts of your clear coat - that's how the defects get corrected. But it's such a small, negligble amount if you do it right. Don't sit there swirling in the same spot for several minutes......

Polishes and paint cleansers don't really "make it shinier", but they prepare the surface by restoring the "glory" of the factory paint and clear coat. Finish with a sealant and/or carnauba to get the best shine and slickness out of the paint. But I think most detail enthusiasts will tell you that the most important part of detailing your exterior is preparing the paint with clay, polishes, glazes and cleansers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
screeber said:
Yes - abrasive polishes are removing small amounts of your clear coat - that's how the defects get corrected. But it's such a small, negligble amount if you do it right. Don't sit there swirling in the same spot for several minutes......

Polishes and paint cleansers don't really "make it shinier", but they prepare the surface by restoring the "glory" of the factory paint and clear coat. Finish with a sealant and/or carnauba to get the best shine and slickness out of the paint. But I think most detail enthusiasts will tell you that the most important part of detailing your exterior is preparing the paint with clay, polishes, glazes and cleansers.
Well said! I agree 100%.

·
=]
nasa space shuttle
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so i cant seem to find any place that carrys the PC locally...where is a good place to order it ? and which model would be a good one to get?

and is it possible to order ONLY claybars (mothers i prefer) ? since i still have the lubricator that came with the kit and i dont want to spend another 25$ just for a clay

·
Registered
04 CAMRY LE
1,123 Posts
Maybe you can buy online from autopia....autogeek.net, go to lowes.com and order from them if you can. They don't make the pc7424 anymore...i think its the 7336sp

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
CamrySExxx said:
i have a couple questions ...i love detailing my car and well im going to invest into a cheap waxer/polisher..

That is a rotary buffer. Only an experienced detailer should use a rotary. An orbital is MUCH safer for the newb detailer. Besides, you really only need a rotary on real damaged paint.

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
Webb26 said:
Maybe you can buy online from autopia....autogeek.net, go to lowes.com and order from them if you can. They don't make the pc7424 anymore...i think its the 7336sp
The 7336 is the older model. They still make the 7424 and 7336sp. They also have a heavy duty version of the 7424 which has a bigger and longer power cord. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
623 Posts
I would hold off on buying this for a long while. Like PB said this is a rotary, and can lead to damaged paint if not used correctly. For a beginner the PC is well worth the investment. I bought mines from Amazon.com but that was rather pricey. Autogeek and auotopia have some nice combo packages. Save you a bit of money rather then buying the pc, pads and backing plates seperately.

·
=]
nasa space shuttle
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
which pc model would be the best though? i seen there was about 3 different ones...with different rpms, sizes and speeds. So i need help narrowing down a exact model :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts