Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Heja Sverige
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently hung out with Brian, a buddy of mine who works for the CHP (I'm in the process of joining). We were assigned to B shift (2:00 pm - 10:00 PM), our beat was the 405 between Getty Center Drive and Nordhoff. It was pretty quiet at first, ticketed a couple people for expired reg and 1 for not wearing his seatbelt. Brian hates ticketing people, the only thing he's anal about is registration, because DMV fees are the only thing that pays for the CHP. It got pretty excitiing later on though, some dude in a U-Haul rammed 3 people including a schoolbus and the LAPD chased him down. Then, some Asian woman careened off the 118 and ended up on an embankment. The dispatcher told us it was an injury crash, so we went code 3 and hauled ass to it. Hit 115 on the freeway with the lights on. We're in this old ass Crown Vic with 90k miles, a slipping transmission, and suspension looser than my roommate's sister, and he's weaving in and out of traffic like it's nothing. They're seriously good drivers. Anyway, here are some pics, I can answer any questions you have.

The interior of the car was really shitty

The gun on the left is an AR-15 (semi auto only), on the right is a remington 12 gauge

CHP cruisers don't have radar guns, they have to pace the person. All speedometers are calibrated every couple weeks, our car's speedo was 1 mph off

This thing controls the radio, the lights, and the siren. One button is for the ambers on top, one for the forward red lights, one for the rears, and one for code 3. It also has a PA system, which Brian used to yell at other mtorists to "STAY BEHIND THE POLICE VEHICE, SLOW DOWN NOW" when we ran a traffic break

The Lo-Jack doohickey

Expired tag

No seatbelt (CLICK IT OR TICKET PEOPLE)

Expired tag. This guy was an idiot, he had his new sticker in his glove box. :tard:

Us going code 3 part 1 (7.7 MB)

Us going code 3 part 2 (7.8 MB)

·
Zoom-Zoom
2008 Mazdaspeed 3
7,127 Posts
looks like you had a hell of a time..:)

he should ticket ANYONE driving while on a cell phone, a guy in a brand new BMW 745i almost side swipped us...

TWICE in less than 1 minute...

·
Heja Sverige
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Razo-E said:
looks like you had a hell of a time..:)

he should ticket ANYONE driving while on a cell phone, a guy in a brand new BMW 745i almost side swipped us...

TWICE in less than 1 minute...

It's not illegal. Then again, neither is changing lanes without signaling. :eek:

·
Heja Sverige
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CamNub said:
What is CHP?
You could read the thread...

California Highway Patrol. California's state troopers basically.

·
Zoom-Zoom
2008 Mazdaspeed 3
7,127 Posts
yeah, but he almost side swiped us TWICE, if it was an accident, i can understand, but he was on his phone...

come to think of it, so did this one fat bitch in a Saturn..:disappoin

ohh, and earlier a city bus almost rammed my bro and I into the side barrier :eek:

it was his fault too, my bro wasnt even in his blind spot (we could see the driver in his mirror)...

im just rambling...:D

·
The Greatest
3,830 Posts
Kidane said:
You could read the thread...

California Highway Patrol. California's state troopers basically.
I did read. I knew it was cops but didn't know what it stood for.

I thought you were alrdy a cop. :confused:

·
Heja Sverige
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
CamNub said:
I did read. I knew it was cops but didn't know what it stood for.

I thought you were alrdy a cop. :confused:
Almost, I still have training to do. 27 weeks in Sacramento, ugh.

·
Grenaded piston
6,594 Posts
Kidane said:
Almost, I still have training to do. 27 weeks in Sacramento, ugh.
Have fun. :)

My buddies and I went out to the CHP academy in West Sac. a few weeks ago for the cops & rodders show.

Pretty cool, they were doing stunts on bikes and drifting Camaros on the road course.

·
OLD TN dude
62 Posts
Kidane,
Mucho props to you for doing something positive with your life, rather than bellyaching about getting a ticket from a... "@#%^* cop Just cuz he said I was going 40 MPH over the limit"..... When the 'PIGS' are pulling you out of a burning twisted heap on the side of the road, or being shot at by some 17 year old that stole your car, remember that he's only a badge heavy, wannabe tough guy that gets his jollies by harrassing people.......NOT!!!
Good luck with your carreer!!!!
MCTOY

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Cool pics and vids.

Wow, real tought area your working :lol: - but looks like fun.

What do you want to do as a cop? Just hit the street, CHP, sherrif's department, specialty?

·
Heja Sverige
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Fresco Bob said:
why dont they have radar guns?
Radar guns cost money :p
CHP cars don't have video cameras, most of them don't have computers, and alot of the cars are busted up pretty badly. The transmission in our car was slipping from 1st - 2nd gear.

I would really love for the P71 Crown Victorias to be replaced with a stripped down poilce-ready version of the 300C. Unfortunately, it isn't body on frame, which means the CHP won't use it. :( They just placed an order for new '05 Crown Vics (which, admittedly, have MUCH better seats) so I guess I'll be driving one of those for awhile.

Unless, of course, I sign up for commercial enforcement. Then I'll be driving one of these:

The B4C LS1 Camaro <3

·
Heja Sverige
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
88 LE said:
Have fun. :)

My buddies and I went out to the CHP academy in West Sac. a few weeks ago for the cops & rodders show.

Pretty cool, they were doing stunts on bikes and drifting Camaros on the road course.
Oh man, those guys are HARDCORE. Have you seen them with the Crown Vics? 4,300 lbs and that shitty little V8 but they still handle like crazy. I'm really looking forward to the training. :D

·
S14 Fever :D
1993 Toyota Scepter
2,456 Posts
I almost joined the FHP or Florida Highway Patrol but I was told that they would send me to Southern Florida(Miami area) because I speak Spanish, and I don't want to live there because 1. It's too expensesive to live there(I would barely be able to support myself on a trooper salary there) 2. The crime and drug problem there is outrageous:eek:

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Man, a white camero CHP officer pulled my car over when it was white. He had a blue jump suit on and he made me open all PARTS of my car to check things out. He was a dick...

What's with the camero cops anyways? Are they an elite group of CHP?

BTW, my roomate is going for LBPD and he told me a funny joke about the CHP.

Here's the joke: Why do CHP patrol cars have a white door on the driver side?

So the officer knows what door to get into to. :lol:

·
Grenaded piston
6,594 Posts
Kidane said:
Oh man, those guys are HARDCORE. Have you seen them with the Crown Vics? 4,300 lbs and that shitty little V8 but they still handle like crazy. I'm really looking forward to the training. :D
They didn't drive the Crown Vics on the road course. Just the Camaros and bikes.

Hate to say it, but they got some wussy bikes. Top speed on them is 120 mph.

The guys driving the Camaros were crazy. Doing about 135 mph down the straight away into a 90 degree left turn, can't use the brakes, so they gotta drift it and countersteer.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts